Search the forum,

Discuss About to sell flat and boiler has developed a leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GDad

Hello all,

As title, I've just put my flat on the market and sods law my boiler appears to have developed a leak at the exact same time.

It's a Baxi Potterton Combi HE30. It's probably just under 3 years old, was installed about 8 months before I moved in. I recently bled the radiators and then had to top up the boiler from the taps underneath as the pressure dropped. The pressure is currently about 1.5, between the limits stated on the boiler. Basically when I turn on the heating or hot water i get a very small leak of cold water dripping under the boiler coming out of a hole next to to white cables. I took the front off to see if I could see where the leak is coming from and it appears (though I may well be wrong) that it's from by a clear plastic box on the right side of the boiler. The plastic box has a dividing piece of plastic in it, the left side appears to have water and a clear pipe in it also with water in and the right hand side appears to be empty. On the right hand side is an outlet pipe which goes to my waste water pipe under the sink. The leak seems to be from a small plastic screw type thing under the left side of the clear plastic box where the water is.

Can anyone tell me what this is likely to be and more importantly if it's gonna cost me a lot?! Was looking on the BG website and was wondering if I should go for their £192 for any parts/labour on the first fault they find thing?

Many thanks and apologies if my description is rubbish, not exactly an expert in these things,

Paul

Hi paul..if you state your area, one of these kind gentlemen might be close enough for a call out for you...and a fix...

The leak is from the bottom of the condensate syphon. It may be just a case of tightening the drain plug. This should be a cheap and easy fix. As you are selling up why not get a Corgi registered plumber in to service the boiler and issue a gas safety certificate at the same time as rectifying the leak.

Don't go for the BG thing it should be a lot cheaper than that even with a service.

Mike

Sounds like the condensate trap might have blocked due to lack of servicing. Had this happen a few times. One last week was a 5 year old glowworm and I am fitting a new boiler next week as the condensate sloshing around inside the case has caused sufficient corrosion to have the thing categorised as "at risk". Get it looked at PDQ otherwise you may find yourself facing similar major outlay.

Thanks very much for the responses, I'll look to get a plumber in ASAP to take a look. My flat is in Waltham Abbey if anyone on here is working locally :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to About to sell flat and boiler has developed a leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock