Search the forum,

Discuss Able Skills, Dartford in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smithfivezero

Positives! Negatives! Any good?

ive no ide mate, hopefully somebody has been there and can give you some feedback

what are you looking to do there?

Hello mate, I know able really well, did my part P there, and loads of other stuff like tiling etc. Can be a mixed bag, there are better places for plumbing, depending on which course your looking at. What are you trying do do?

Plumbing and Gas, hopefully it will pay off. Keeping my mind open for all the other quils and certs that people have said to get so onwards and upwards. I just wanted some feed on the est.

Well I have done what your about to do. I ended up doing my plumbing and gas at the plumbing academy in Edenbridge. On balance I would recommend them over Able for that. Able are ok for week course in tiling or getting your part P etc, but they are a bit of a revolving door, and the standard can vary depending on which tutor you get (a lot). I think the academy are more expensive but imho opinion better if you can afford. They changed hands recently, the old owners were tossers, but the tutors and standards are very high. I did my NVQ's etc (recommended) and they were really good .

Thank you Nickelrsed, this means alot. I have stumped up a hell of a lot of money for this course which i am about to partake. I only wish I hade found this site sooner as the adverts on the left hand side there are of value and some of them colleges/ providers I could have used to my better need. I'll see how it goes.

The OCLI seems to have more vocation than Able Skills and they are ELCAS registered too, shame I had not found them sooner.

Hi mate, I think you made a much better choice with Abel than OLCI. I looked around there and didn't get a good feel for the place, and I have heard some horror stories about people getting shafted by them. I don't have first hand experience of it but they don't have a good name. Good luck with your course hope it works out, and with Abel if your not happy with a tutor make sure you go to the ioffice and make a fuss. I had to do that once and to be fair they did get it sorted. Happy plumbing:)

Haha, happy plumbing.....as long as there are no leaks yeah. Cheers for the warn off, I shall be on the observation now. With a couple of grand of my money, they had better be worth the silver.

surely everyone is different though, college for me was a nightmare to get into, yes it was more money going through a training center but college couldnt offer me the flexability i needed so for me it actually worked out a lot better. for the record i went with olci, horror stories!? not sure what you mean by that, everyone i was with was happy enough, the tutors there they seemed to know what they were talking about.

Fair one, bit like where you live...you hate it and somewhere else is always better! I did the same thing during my bricklaying years, paid my way through the NVQ years. But used to think that these training centres were a gimmic, rip off...bu the cost equals out to be fair i think. We will see, roll on January.

Hi mate, I think you made a much better choice with Abel than OLCI. I looked around there and didn't get a good feel for the place, and I have heard some horror stories about people getting shafted by them. I don't have first hand experience of it but they don't have a good name. Good luck with your course hope it works out, and with Abel if your not happy with a tutor make sure you go to the ioffice and make a fuss. I had to do that once and to be fair they did get it sorted. Happy plumbing:)

Thats wierd becuase i saw Abel but didnt go with them. i wasnt sure about the certificates i got for my cash. a mate told me the same thing happened him.

Ihave done 3 courses with able skills(all electrical) and found them really good, 3 different instructors and all very knowledgable and made the courses enjoyable, would highly recomend them.

Well, end of week one. 7 assesments passed and 1 exam cant be bad and the center offers so much more to you and avenues to venture down. I'm pleased and enjoying every moment of it. Cant complain....

Right. I feel a little dig at this 'short course' qualification stuff somewhat.

When I left school I spent 3 years of my miserable life doing City and Guilds Motor Vehicle Engineering, and also completed the old YTS scheme for those of you that remember, Completing the NVQ 2F in Engineering and welding before studying bricklaying at college for 3 years of my life, paid for out of my own pocket because i was over the age of 19 and not entitled to 'free education'. I was board ****eless of cars, lathes, welding and life to be honest. This was also whilst working like you do for some local old man of a builder to put beer tokens down your throat.

Now just because you have been to school, college, uni, prison or done a 1 day, 1 week, 1 month course that has a nationally recognised qualification against it must mean that it is 'fit for purpose'! Otherwise it would not stand...would it?

On the other hand just because you have done an apprenticeship, been to college bleeding from the eyes or been to a providing centre still does not mean that your the daddy does it?

Experience does right?

Like calling someone a 'noob'.....you had to start somewhere did you not?

So my hat comes off to anyone providing educational qualities for the sake of getting some lazy drug taking, doll collecting, free loading toad of their arse. And seen as those of you reading this, on this site are of British Oak or working in this country of God...then you should set an example, not slander anyone trying to improve their lives and stride forward to achieve every effort to do what is right. Encouragement and support says alot about who you are. Sly digs and looking down your fat nose tells alot about what you are.

Peace, out.

Smithfivezero, good to hear that you are enjoying able. And your right one of the things nice about that place is the range of courses open to you. As for the short course digs, well said mate. As I said I went on a similar route to you. I wasn't ready to go on my own straight away so went and got some experience with local guys but now I'm at the stage where I'm confident in my work and proud of it too. I think what you say is bang on, people should be supportive (and they usually are here) of people who have the balls to try and make something happen for themselves rather than sitting about getting handouts or ending up in some call centre nightmare. Good luck mate.

Smithfivezero, good to hear that you are enjoying able. And your right one of the things nice about that place is the range of courses open to you. As for the short course digs, well said mate. As I said I went on a similar route to you. I wasn't ready to go on my own straight away so went and got some experience with local guys but now I'm at the stage where I'm confident in my work and proud of it too. I think what you say is bang on, people should be supportive (and they usually are here) of people who have the balls to try and make something happen for themselves rather than sitting about getting handouts or ending up in some call centre nightmare. Good luck mate.

Thank you very much mukka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Able Skills, Dartford in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock