Search the forum,

Discuss A Smell And Water Jetting in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all I will be as brief as possible.
The flat i have rented has a stale drain smell in the kitchen living room. Second floor of 4 story block built in the 1980s. Stack pipe runs inside in corner of room boxed in behind tiling.
After checking traps, cleaning the dishwasher and the washing machine I was pretty certain that it was from the stack or the waste. The system is closed from where the trap under the sink to where it goes in to the stack somewhere in the wall. 1 month later 3 plumber visits later a drainage company pushed a high pressure jet up the stack from the access cover outside the block. They claimed to find a blockage and cleared it. On going in to the kitchen there was water on the work surface in the corner by where the stack runs behind cabinets and tiling 5 feet from the sink and in the form of a puddle. There were little bits of plaster and my interpretation was that the high power jet had sought out the crack/break/leak and with sufficient pressure then knocked out the plaster and dumped a little water on the surface. The void the stack runs in has sound lagging, so perhaps quite an achievement. 3 hours later I noticed a damp patch on the ceiling. It is suspended plasterboard with concrete ceiling/floor above. A sink appears to tee in to the stack just under that concrete floor above.
Everyone now saying it's fixed smell will go. I'm thinking if water can get through so can air and smell. I'm also thinking that in HK SARS 2 spread through their high rise dwellings due to this type of thing. So. If they removed a partial blockage should I fret about the water jet having pushed through the wall and left a damp patch on the ceiling. All thoughts most welcome. Thank you

Reply to A Smell And Water Jetting in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and then through the kitchen to the drains. A while back I started to hear a drip hitting the kitchen ceiling (now with some ceiling evidence too) from...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have noticed for a while now that when our washing machine nears the end of a cycle we get a bad smell of dirty water in the downstairs toilet which is next door. We have moved the washing machine as we are having floor tiles put down and have noticed that the waste pipe is full of dark...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs above but there is no sign of leakage on the ceiling. The main drain run from the manhole at the back runs under the kitchen, which has a solid floor...
Replies
Views
Hi, As per title we have a regular smell from the shower trap. Clean the trap twice a week, had a cleaning rod down the shower waste pipe and no blockage. Used several different drain cleaners over time but smell returns (not always but often enough to be annoying). Seems to coincide with...
Replies
Views
For about a year, my shower on a third floor is giving an on off gas smell sometimes after a shower and particularly in the morning not long after the sun rises enough to hit our roof. I usually run some water into my p-trap and the smell goes away after a few minutes. There is a tub right...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock