Search the forum,

Discuss 90 deg toilet pan connector doesn't reach vertical soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

givingitago

Hi all,

Another pan connector question, I'm afraid, but I've not seen this particular problem in the forums - apologies if I have missed something.

I'm fitting a new close-coupled toilet in place of an old, doing this for the first time and would be grateful for advice with a problem I have reaching the old soil pipe from the new pan outlet -

- The outer rim of my slightly off-vertical 4" plastic soil pipe comes through the floor 5cm from the wall that the toilet will back onto.
- The horizontal spigot of my shiny new toilet will be 19.5cm from the the rear of the toilet where it backs against the wall.
- The pan connector (Wickes) that I bought is approx 14.5cm 'deep' from front of spigot socket to rear of the elbow. Great, 14.5+5 = 19.5.
- But of course the 90 degree pan connector looks like it will slide 4cm over the spigot when pushed fully on.
- So actually my pan connector falls 4cm short of where it needs to reach to enter the soil pipe..?

Moving the soil pipe is not an option due to the lovely tiled floor, and all the 90 degree connectors I've seen seem to be about the same size, so how do I bridge this gap (other than flushing really hard ;)) ?

Reading other posts it looks like a short straight connector from the pan going into a Multikwik MKL1 multilink going into the 90 degree connector might be an option? Would this be acceptable? Or is 4cm too small a gap to bridge like this?

If that won't work, what other options might I have? Am i right in thinking the spigot-soil pipe distance in this case would be too small for a flexible connector? Am I missing something really obvious?!

Thanks in advance!

David.

Hi,
You can fit a straight multikwik with a multilink into a 90 degree multikwik, i would recomend you use multikwik fittings as they are pretty safe prof.But you could allways use a flexable pan connector from McAlpine. Here are the codes for multikwik:
Straight Multikwik MKS1
Multilink MKL1
Tall 90 degree connector MKB2190
Standard 90 degrree connector MKB3190
Soil pipe extension MKEA

Bobb

Thanks Bobb, and thanks for the part numbers! I guess I'll have to cut the straight MKS1 pretty short - to about 8cm. Is it ok if the fins inside the multilink will be pressing right against the spigot?

Look at the McAlpine catalogue as some of their stuff is easier to do modifications to than the multikwik. Also they have a long length 90 degree pan connector you cut to size.

Thanks, WHPES. I bought the multikwik parts before your reply so I'll give them a go this evening and let you know how I get on. If it all falls apart I'll go back for your suggestion - good to know I have another option!

The multikwik seems to have worked :D! Here's what I did, using the parts Bobb suggested...

Short straight (MKS1) into multilink (MKL1) into tall 90 degree (MKB2190). A wipe of the supplied yellow paraffin inside the multilink, really wedged the short straight into it so the front edge of the MKL1 was hard against the first fin on the MKS1 and the pipe of the MKS1 was just about coming out of the MKL1 rear lip, then pushed that combo into the 90 degree - dry joint, no paraffin. The socket of the MKS1 then went onto the spigot, pushing home as far as poss and again a dry joint. The length of the resulting set of pipes was about 5mm too long, but using the magic of swear words I was able to manoeuver the pan into place and the tail of the 90 degree into the soil pipe (again a wipe of paraffin inside the soil pipe after cleaning it up.) Oh yes, I also cheated and left the pan a couple of mil off the wall tiles... I'll silicone that to make it neat. So far it looks like any stress on the joints from the pipes being slightly long seems to be within the tolerance of the multikwiks. Does this sound ok?

Then I fitted the cistern, opened the water, filled 'er up and let rip with a few test flushes. So far completely dry on all joints! Thanks, Bobb for the advice and thanks WHPES for the alternative option. Here's our new khazi (the board is where I will box in the pipes and I need to finish the grouting tomorrow!)

IMG_2596-small.jpg

Now... where can I get a vindaloo at this time of night to really test those seals..? ;)

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 90 deg toilet pan connector doesn't reach vertical soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock