Search the forum,

Discuss 9 towel rads on primary with TRVs - good idea? With picture/schematic. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Thanks for your time.

Planning a complete house refurb, where the utility/WC/bathrooms sit right next to the riser which will take the primary up to the cylinder in the loft. It would be easiest to take these towel rads off this primary. All the other rads are on the opposite side of the house, off a different, existing riser.

Does this schematic work? What else would it require in terms of NR valves etc?

The idea is to have the towel rads come on when either the DHW comes on, or the heating generally, controlled by TRVs. One would be a bypass if necessary, probably the utility.

Attachments

• 23ae boiler primary schematic.PNG
    23ae boiler primary schematic.PNG
    47.9 KB · Views: 12
You can do means the towel rads will warm with everything eg ch or hw

Put another zone valve at boiler and run separate loop up riser. Can then use the towel rails in summer to dry towels.

Or electric duel fuel rails.

Put another zone valve at boiler and run separate loop up riser. Can then use the towel rails in summer to dry towels.

Or electric duel fuel rails.

Thank you for your reply.

Did you see the rough schematic I uploaded? I showed a zone valve between the boiler and the heating side, and a zone valve just before the cylinder, but all the towel rads are just of the primary flow and return in the riser that goes up to the cylinder.

Is that what you meant, or would you put the second zone valve somewhere else?

Any need for NR valves?

Thank you for your reply.

Did you see the rough schematic I uploaded? I showed a zone valve between the boiler and the heating side, and a zone valve just before the cylinder, but all the towel rads are just of the primary flow and return in the riser that goes up to the cylinder.

Is that what you meant, or would you put the second zone valve somewhere else?

Any need for NR valves?
After the pump, tee off for another flow/return and add a zone valve. This loop is solely for the towel rails and requires 2 additional pipes dedicated to the towels rails to run up the riser.

If you do it as it is, the towel rails will get hot when the cylinder calls for heat.

As it is now, in the summer when the heating is off and the cylinder is at temperature, there is nothing to tell the boiler to come on if you want the towel rails warm for an hour or two in the morning.

Also, look up the 3 tee rule.

I’d add a hot water recirc line in the riser too.

Reply to 9 towel rads on primary with TRVs - good idea? With picture/schematic. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock