Search the forum,

Discuss 70s Renovation - Radiator Manifold in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I am currently renovating our 70s house a room at a time. It currently has single pipe central heating, heat only boiler and indirect cylinder with F&E tank. It's a noisy system and even when balanced, the last radiators take a while to get hot. I'm also getting air in from somewhere which you can hear sometimes whooshing through the pipes and into the pump.

We are planning on extending the house in the next few years which will involve moving the boiler (and probably replacing) and related pipework. It's got me thinking of whether I should be modernising the system (or at least preparing for it while I'm renovating each room).

I'm thinking of laying some PEX pipe up to each radiator as I renovate (lifting floorboards etc), then when we get a new boiler, new rads etc in the extension, I can hook each PeX loop up to radiator manifold which will be hooked up to the boiler. I can then lift just the access floorboards on each rad tail and connect copper tails to the PEX flow and return.

Has anyone got any advice on this approach, recommended pex pipe, manifolds etc. I'd ideally like to have each room independently controlled with Tado thermostats. Should I consider running the thermostat cables in each room before decorating?

Is it easy enough to have a manifold for upstairs rads and a manifold downstairs for Rads or underfloor?

Have you had a look at radiator manifold eg like ufh manifolds

No you can’t use an ufh one as they have a pump / blending valve set but the distribution ports / headers are the same emmeti are a good one

Then 16mm pre insulated mlcp to each rad

Reply to 70s Renovation - Radiator Manifold in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock