Search the forum,

Discuss 6mm radiator pipes to 15mm plinth heater??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katie279

Hi all,

Am renovating kitchen at the moment and looking to replace an old radiator with an underplinth radiator to save on space.

The current radiator pipes are 6mm (yes double measured with calipers twice as surprised me!).

Any ideas how I can get this to connect to 15mm underplinth heater? Can't even find 6mm reducers, let alone one that goes from 6mm all the way to 15mm!

Am concerned it may require some pretty industrial refitting of the heating!

Is a 1970s build with oil heating.

Hmm just spotted BES have some - could have a 6mm to 8mm and then 8mm to 15mm thereafter??

Would this even work??

I think 6mm O/D is refrigeration pipe and it so there is no fitting sold that gets you from
refrigeration pipe to plumbing pipe.

Check in the BES catalogue online in case they have made one recently -

Basically refrig pipe is American o/d size and plumbing world is metric. However
there is a way of doing it as API 2006 (Solar) my outfit had to do this last year.

So if your serious I will go down to my small workshop and check what we did last
September

centralheatking

Good idea - I tried that - but no - look at page 158 part no 6786 which is a 15mm/8mm E/F plumbing reducer. Then you need to use old style plumbing on the 8mm e/f and solder it slowly and wipe it until it is strong. I think we swaged out out the end of the 6mm pipe a bit -

Def works anyway - there are 100's of these joints in operation now I know

Centralheatking

Hmm just spotted BES have some - could have a 6mm to 8mm and then 8mm to 15mm thereafter??

Would this even work??

push the 6mm into 8mm and solder and then go from 8mm as required

Question is though whether or not 6mm will give you the heat output.....

Very unusual to find 6mm pipe on heating anymore. It was a thing from the early 60's / 70's usually on solid fuel systems.
The max heat will be around a kw depending on the run.
I'd strip it back to the main runs.
If you are determined to use it stick it inside a bit 8mm and solder it on.

Hello Katie and :welcome2:to the forum.
where does the 6mm pipe lead back to?
can you not replace it with something bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6mm radiator pipes to 15mm plinth heater??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock