Search the forum,

Discuss 40kw Navien NCB Combi install with v.poor DHW? Is this adequate? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
Just had a Navien NCB 40kw combi installed by an approved fitter. The DHW rates of the boiler seemed promising on paper - 16.4lpm at a 35 temp rise and 22.9lpm at a 25degree rise. More than adequate for what we need. The only issue now its installed is that I'm not getting any more than 9 or 10lpm using the boilers display. I knew it would be a compromise fitting a combi as I had an Ideal Istor previously (cylinder & system boiler all in one), but the reduction in DHW is quite noticeable.

I've a new 25mm mains - fitted years ago mind, the Istors 22mm pipe feed now goes to the Navien (although reduced to a 15mm connection). I have 25lpm at the outside tap off the kitchen wall and 3bar pressure (not sure if this is static or dynamic but it was a gauge screwed to the outside tap???). Gas pipe is 22mm probably 20 feet to boiler). There is a tee off at the stop tap where it enters the property leading off to the cold supplies for the house - the other leading to the Navien. The hot water supply pipes to a bathroom and ensuite and kitchen from the boiler are 22mm (again from the old Istor) which tee off in 15mm to the fittings, the cold water pipes seem to be in 15mm to the various outlets. I've a bathroom and an ensuite. Boiler is in the basement, the bathroom 2 floors up and ensuite in the loft conversion.

The fitter assures me he's seen much higher readings on 40kw Naviens. He just doesn't know why it only reads between 9-10lpm.

I just wondered whether the quoted figures related to the flow rate when hot water is mixed with cold? I guess then it probably would be a much higher flow rate which is why the showers seem ok. Apparently the incoming temperature is 9 degrees, so setting the boiler hot water temp to 45degrees should give approx 16lpm...but it's a mile off based on the display.

Just wondered if I was missing something as my fitter couldn't shine any light on it and said he would speak to Navien? I never expected it to match the Istor with multiple outlets on at the same time, but I did expect a slightly better flow rate with one outlet...particularly to my bath tub which we used to fill in no time, which now takes noticeably quite a bit longer to fill.

Is the reality that what I'm getting currently is actually normal for a 40kw combi? Thanks for any comments.

Any Pictures of the install?
Is there a filling loop at the boiler?

Hi thanks for replying. Here is a pic of the underside of the boiler. Assume there is a filling loop in the photo although I'm no expert.

The boiler was commissioned with a gas pressure reading of 21mbar...I wondered whether it was undergassed so couldnt do its job? Between 17 and 25 mbar is recommended so I assume this ok. Although I don't remember being asked to turn on multiple outlets to get the boiler up to its max operation.

Puzzles me why it won't perform anywhere near its specs.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210221_184729739.jpg
    PXL_20210221_184729739.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 14
I would suspect low cold mains flow into the boiler if it’s only reading 9-10lpm

If you have 25lpm at an outside tap
You should have similar at other cold taps eg bath cold?
Hot is probably restricted through the boiler but as it’s a 40kw I would imagine a 15-16 LPM Restrictor.

I know nothing about nevian but it may have a filter that needs cleaning.
You can test at the filling loop pressure and flow to give an idea of what the cold supply just before the boiler is.

Any other valves been shut or touched?
I would ask the installer to return and have another look at it.

I would suspect low cold mains flow into the boiler if it’s only reading 9-10lpm
I've got approx. 22lpm at the outside tap which makes me think surely the boiler must be receiving that? or does it need to be receiving more than that to achieve more than its 9-10lpm heated up?

It might not be due to Pipework valves or other restrictions

or could be a restriction on the hot somewhere

If you have 25lpm at an outside tap
You should have similar at other cold taps eg bath cold?
Hot is probably restricted through the boiler but as it’s a 40kw I would imagine a 15-16 LPM Restrictor.

I know nothing about nevian but it may have a filter that needs cleaning.
You can test at the filling loop pressure and flow to give an idea of what the cold supply just before the boiler is.

Any other valves been shut or touched?
I would ask the installer to return and have another look at it.
Is this something I could do or should I get the installer back? I've mentioned the issue and I've since seen he even recorded on his commissioning sheet 9LPM so he was well aware. His answer was that he'd phone Navien and ask. There are a few isolation valves next to the stopcock - one for the cold and one direct to the boiler but these are fully open and full bore as far as I know.

It might not be due to Pipework valves or other restrictions

or could be a restriction on the hot somewhere
Do you mean a restriction within the boiler? I'm only assuming that as its the boiler that tells me what lpm its kicking out - the hot tap in kitchen for example seems to match this rate too.

Don’t think so would need testing

best option would to put the hot into a bucket From the valve and see what you get coming out of the boiler if it’s 13-14lpm you know your problem is on the outlet / hot pipe work

but if your only getting 9lpm you know it’s probably cold pipework

Don’t think so would need testing

best option would to put the hot into a bucket From the valve and see what you get coming out of the boiler if it’s 13-14lpm you know your problem is on the outlet / hot pipe work

but if your only getting 9lpm you know it’s probably cold pipework
Great - apologies though - which valve are you referring to as I'm not overly familiar with all of this? So supposedly if I release the hot water from this valve I should hope the lpm reading on the digital display would increase and show a true reflection of what the boiler is capable of? Looking at the commissioning sheet the temperature of the cold is 9degrees? Thanks

Tbh the installer should be doing this else there was no point in fitting a 40kw when you could of used a 28kw etc

Tbh the installer should be doing this else there was no point in fitting a 40kw when you could of used a 28kw etc
That's exactly my issue. He told me 40kw was ideal. Had I have know I'd get 9 or 10lpm I would never have gone this route or saved a few hundred quid and got a smaller boiler. Just to be certain, when/if he returns what should I be suggesting he do exactly (without telling him how do his job!?)

If you open multiple hot water taps can you measure this and compare it with the boiler display?, a 22kw boiler at 9 LPM will give you a deltaT of 35C, they don't make combis much smaller than this.

If you open multiple hot water taps can you measure this and compare it with the boiler display?, a 22kw boiler at 9 LPM will give you a deltaT of 35C, they don't make combis much smaller than this.
Just opened two hot taps - one in a sink next to the boiler and one in a sink upstairs in the kitchen (boiler in basement). kitchen was 5.4lpm and basement tap 7.2lpm - the display on the boiler was just passing 12lpm which was progress in some ways. the water temp is 47 degrees so a 37 degree rise if the 10 degree water temp the fitter recorded on his commissioning sheet is correct.

Is the DHW temperature set to 47/50C ?

If you split the difference then 12.3 LPm at a deltaT of 37c = boiler output of 32kw which is equivalent to 40 kw at 16.3 LPM and a 35C deltaT so I think nothing wrong with the boiler thermally except its range rated to below 40kw.. the problem seems to be with the cold water supply pressure or restriction somewhere, I suppose there could be a restrictor fitted in the boiler set to say 16 LPM and it would take a mains supply pressure drop of almost 45% to drop the flow to 12 LPM.

Is the DHW temperature set to 47/50C ?

If you split the difference then 12.3 LPm at a deltaT of 37c = boiler output of 32kw which is equivalent to 40 kw at 16.3 LPM and a 35C deltaT so I think nothing wrong with the boiler thermally except its range rated to below 40kw.. the problem seems to be with the cold water supply pressure or restriction somewhere, I suppose there could be a restrictor fitted in the boiler set to say 16 LPM and it would take a mains supply pressure drop of almost 45% to drop the flow to 12 LPM.

Thanks for that. In terms of the cold water supply pressure and potential restriction, the run from the incoming mains tees off two ways - one in 22mm that runs direct to the boiler . Probably covers 40 feet or so. The other again 22mm runs off to the cold outlets (but turns into 15mm after 15 feet of so....this supplies the outside tap that gets 22lpm, 3bar. So are you saying the restriction of some form could potentially be in the 22mm that feeds off the mains to supply the boiler? Thanks

Thanks for that. In terms of the cold water supply pressure and potential restriction, the run from the incoming mains tees off two ways - one in 22mm that runs direct to the boiler . Probably covers 40 feet or so. The other again 22mm runs off to the cold outlets (but turns into 15mm after 15 feet of so....this supplies the outside tap that gets 22lpm, 3bar. So are you saying the restriction of some form could potentially be in the 22mm that feeds off the mains to supply the boiler? Thanks
I've also noticed the boiler has a read out for central heating pressure. This might be irrelevant but it reads at 1.25 bar.?

Any mention of a flow restrictor or filter in the boiler mnual?

No, the boiler pressure has nothing to do with the problem.
The pressure drop through 40 ft of 22mm piping even at a flow rate of 20 LPM is only ~ 0.15 bar, as someone pointed out the problem may be on the hot water outlet to the users, you or somebody will have to take pressure readings before/after the boiler to narrow down the problem.

No, the boiler pressure has nothing to do with the problem.
The pressure drop through 40 ft of 22mm piping even at a flow rate of 20 LPM is only ~ 0.15 bar, as someone pointed out the problem may be on the hot water outlet to the users, you or somebody will have to take pressure readings before/after the boiler to narrow down the problem.
I'll try and do this. Think there is a point where the mains enters the property where I could attach a gauge and take a reading. Not sure about after the boiler though in terms of attaching to taps etc but will look into it. Thanks

I would think, if installed, that they can certainly be removed.
It shows a differential pressure of ~ 2 bar is required for a flow rate of 20 LPM so would probably need 3 bar mains pressure to give 1 bar at the boiler inlet,
at 12 lpm the deltaP required is ~ 0.9 bar so the mains pressure would be ~ 2 bar at this flowrate to give 1 bar at the boiler inlet., these restrictors, if fitted, can have a very significant effect on the final flowrate IMO.

I would think, if installed, that they can certainly be removed.
It shows a differential pressure of ~ 2 bar is required for a flow rate of 20 LPM so would probably need 3 bar mains pressure to give 1 bar at the boiler inlet,
at 12 lpm the deltaP required is ~ 0.9 bar so the mains pressure would be ~ 2 bar at this flowrate to give 1 bar at the boiler inlet., these restrictors, if fitted, can have a very significant effect on the final flowrate IMO.
Had a quick look at the manual I have here and there's no mention of flow restrictors just something about cleaning the return adaptor filter on page 51 which I assume isn't it? I've attached the manual it would be great if you had a sec to see if there's anything obvious that could have been missed. I'm going to try at some point today to measure the mains pressure just after the stopcock just so I can be sure what pressure is coming in. Thanks

Attachments

• NCB-ErP-Combi-Installation-Operation-Manual (1).pdf
    23.4 MB · Views: 3
I don't see any reference to cold water restrictors but on page 23 it states "After installing the boiler clean the cold water inlet filter", this of course may only refer to a typical installation but it is mentioned.

Re monitoring pressure, you have a 3 bar PG at the outside tap so when no flow through it but with flow through the combi should tell you something as it should reflect any pressure drop at the mains, just switch in the DHW and watch it, you really want another PG somewhere at the end of hot water supply to the house. Also even though it shouldn't have any effect on the flow through the boiler turn up the DHW temp control knob to max while doing the tests.

What was the kw output of your old Istor? did flow rate feel ok?

Last edited:
I don't see any reference to cold water restrictors but on page 23 it states "After installing the boiler clean the cold water inlet filter", this of course may only refer to a typical installation but it is mentioned.

Re monitoring pressure, you have a 3 bar PG at the outside tap so when no flow through it but with flow through the combi should tell you something as it should reflect any pressure drop at the mains, just switch in the DHW and watch it, you really want another PG somewhere at the end of hot water supply to the house. Also even though it shouldn't have any effect on the flow through the boiler turn up the DHW temp control knob to max while doing the tests.

What was the kw output of your old Istor? did flow rate feel ok?
I will clarify the page 23 with the installer so thanks. I've just attached the PG to the point just after the stopcock....today around 15 mins ago it measured 2.2bar. Assuming it must fluctuate if I got 3 bar previously an outside tap. (The outside tap was the same 2.2bar btw) cranked up the boiler temp to maximum 65 degrees and opened a few outlets. The PG changed to 2bar lowest...it didn't move much at all. I'm not sure what this means I'll be honest, I just can't figure a way of measuring the pressure beyond the boiler although hopefully my fitter will have something for this. If I felt confident at removing the filling loop I'd try and measure the flow rate before it hits the boiler.
The Istor I believe was 24kw but with the pressurised cylinder we had much better flow from the taps....particulalry the hot bath tap...a massive difference...and the showers were more powerful.

It means basically that the mains pressure is fluctuating between 3 bar and 2.2 bar due to other users or whatever but your demand of 12 LPM or whatever is only dropping it a further 0.2bar (no problem from that point of view but 2 bar is IMO a pretty poor pressure for combi boiler flow rate performance). The outside tap (when not in use) will measure the mains pressure. The filling loop PG can only be utilized if the cold supply to it is from the same cold supply as to the combi, you must then be able to shut off the PRV outlet to the boiler, then screw down the PRV adjuster to reflect the mains pressure, a bit messy IMO, if you can use your own PG and attach it to the cold take off then open up your hot taps, you will then measure the pressure loss in the 40ft of cold pipe between the mains and the boiler inlet which I expect to be very low but worth taking to rule it in/out. I would then remove the gauge and re install it on the HW outlet, as close to the boiler as possible but this will have to be done with a Tee, then remove it and Tee in in to one one of HW users with the greatest flow and repeat the the test, your plumber might have to do these tests for you.

I looked at the data tables and they specify 12.71 l/m @ 45 degrees for the "kitchen outlet" that happens to be what the OP is getting as a flow rate. Might not be relevant but thought it was odd.

That was from two taps..... "Just opened two hot taps - one in a sink next to the boiler and one in a sink upstairs in the kitchen (boiler in basement). kitchen was 5.4lpm and basement tap 7.2lpm" so kitchen was 5.4 LPM.

Would like to know the deltaP through its plate Hx or through any combi for that matter.
The old boiler, not sure if a combi but with a HW cylinder as well was giving much better flow rates through the showers and HW taps and it was the same cold water line supply so the only big change is the boiler itself?.

Last edited:
That was from two taps.***. "Just opened two hot taps - one in a sink next to the boiler and one in a sink upstairs in the kitchen (boiler in basement). kitchen was 5.4lpm and basement tap 7.2lpm" so kitchen was 5.4 LPM.

Would like to know the deltaP through its plate Hx or through any combi for that matter.
The old boiler, not sure if a combi but with a HW cylinder as well was giving much better flow rates through the showers and HW taps and it was the same cold water line supply so the only big change is the boiler itself?.
Was hoping to reply this eve with some info from Navien as I was contacted today by the boiler fitting company saying the installer had spoken to Navien earlier today. No phonecall as yet so I can't really update.
Yes previously the ideal istor was an all in one unit of a 24kw system boiler (an icos or something similar) attached to an unvented cylinder. It had a prv at the mains set to 2bar which has since been replaced with a straight pipe and the flow from taps was far superior. I never did take any measurement but a bath would fill up in no time....now I'm sitting around for a while longer. Cold tap is no different than previously so no issues with the cold supply.
All the same pipework other than the 22mm pipe serving the boiler has been reduced to 15mm where it connects and the prv removed so pressure now makes its way up to 3bar. I've attached a pic...assuming it all looks ok?
The gas supply crossed my mind just simply with it being a bigger KW boiler but probably thinking on a bit of a simplistic level for that justification.
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210222_185419689.jpg
    PXL_20210222_185419689.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 7
Have you tested the lpm at the boiler yet ?

Was hoping to reply this eve with some info from Navien as I was contacted today by the boiler fitting company saying the installer had spoken to Navien earlier today. No phonecall as yet so I can't really update.
Yes previously the ideal istor was an all in one unit of a 24kw system boiler (an icos or something similar) attached to an unvented cylinder. It had a prv at the mains set to 2bar which has since been replaced with a straight pipe and the flow from taps was far superior. I never did take any measurement but a bath would fill up in no time....now I'm sitting around for a while longer. Cold tap is no different than previously so no issues with the cold supply.
All the same pipework other than the 22mm pipe serving the boiler has been reduced to 15mm where it connects and the prv removed so pressure now makes its way up to 3bar. I've attached a pic...assuming it all looks ok?
The gas supply crossed my mind just simply with it being a bigger KW boiler but probably thinking on a bit of a simplistic level for that justification.
Thanks
The gas supply has nothing to do with the flow rate, you could have the boiler switched off and it won't affect the flow rate. A 20kw combi can give the same flowrate as a 40kw, it just wont be as hot.

Have you tested the lpm at the boiler yet ?
I'm going to ask the fitter to do this for me as I'm a bit uncertain how to go about it. Funnily enough I did ask him to do this during the installation before connecting up the boiler but he didn't have a flow cup on the van!

Reply to 40kw Navien NCB Combi install with v.poor DHW? Is this adequate? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock