Search the forum,

Discuss 32mm/56mm Durgo on Toilet in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

UK
Hi All,

DIYer here, hoping to get some peace of mind or to fire myself up to do a bit of work if required.
I've got a new build property with 3 toilets (i know, i've really made it in life). Main bathroom is what i would suggest as "traditional" with it draining straight out to an external stack, vented as usual. The downstairs toilet waste goes under the house, with a 110m durgo on it. Up until that point I think everything is normal.....

Now on the weekend i was in the attic, fannying around with a PIR for the ensuite to stop my mrs banging the light switch on every morning and waking me from my slumber. When i was working up there I noticed a smell of sewers. I noted there was a roof vent, with hose attached, which i assumed was to vent the stack from the ensuite. I decided to have a look to see if it was all connected up properly. Low and behold, the pipe coming from the roof vent is just resting comfortably on the insulation, not connecting to anything at all.

I then went down to the ensuite and unscrewed the vent on the boxed in section, of course i was greeted with that smell and nasty warmth that seems to come from the scent of sewerage. I had expected (perhaps incorrectly, hence my asking you lot) to see a 110mm stack with either an open top (as the vent wasnt connected in the attic), or a 110 durgo. What i was greeted with though is either a 32mm or 56mm durgo and thats it.

I feel asthough I want to see 110m everything for the toilet and that's what I have with the durgo on the downstairs toilet. I'm now wondering if they had misaligned the pipework and had to resort to putting the smaller vent on and abandoning the roof ventilation. Or.... is that just how its supposed to be? We've had a couple of drainage issues in that room before with the shower tray and the sink gargling (the first issue being that the ground workers had poured topsoil into the front garden before the drain covers were put on!) and its had a bit of a smell for a few weeks.

House builder sent some guys out today to investigate the smell but they seemed a bit wet around the ears and just said that they're not sure its right to have such a small durgo and they will have to speak to their boss to get his opinion.

Additional note if it matters, the ensuite waste isnt straight down, its got a couple of elbows on the way down and i think this durgo must be attached to a 90 degree bend.

Can anyone shed any light?

(by the way, i did search and found a question about 32/56 durgo on toilet but the answer to that was just that they didnt need a durgo at all)

Some piccys always help on PF I am sure we will be able to assist
the better the pitch regarding the problem results in more informed
answers. Centralheatking we are all near home soon so up date us

Heard nothing from the housebuilders today. Here's some pics to set the scene.

Pics show the unconnected roof vent in attic, the durgo (incl up and down view from the boxed in area), plus the upstairs and downstairs plan for that section which hopefully explains the running of the SVP not being straight down.

Hope this helps.

Just hoping for some suggestion either way, if its normal and within regs then thats great to hear, but if its not, i'll have to start banging down the housebuilders door or maybe sort it myself to vent in the loft.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8500.jpg
    IMG_8500.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8502.jpg
    IMG_8502.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8503.jpg
    IMG_8503.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8505.jpg
    IMG_8505.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8507.jpg
    IMG_8507.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8538.PNG
    IMG_8538.PNG
    271.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8539.PNG
    IMG_8539.PNG
    269.3 KB · Views: 14

Reply to 32mm/56mm Durgo on Toilet in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock