Search the forum,

Discuss 32 Ideal Vogue Max - reduce pump speed? (noisy expanding pipes) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,
At the start of the year I had a 32 Ideal Vogue Max fitted and all was well, it's working fine.
Problem is, I was getting floors done at the same time so I had a very limited time to notch out / felt between the pipes & joists.

I thought I got them all but, I didnt and the noise is driving me mad, however I am not in a position to pull up floors / go through the ceiling underneath.
I never had this problem with the previous older boiler so I'm wondering is it down to the speed of the boiler?

If so, any way that I can reduce the speed? 32 Ideal Vogue Max
Cheers!

I think its just something your going to have to live with or lift the floors.
Slower heating will just slow the 'ticks' down.
It's easily done, I did at my own house and didn't notice untill after overboarding and installing fitted wardrobes.
I think it stopped eventually - probably with dust and cobwebs

I would have thought that if problem with pipe expansion being restriced that it would be more of a ticking banging noise, a foghorn noise might be associated with the boiler itself, what was the output of the original boiler??.

Sorry lads - the foghorn issue was the first issue I had here but got that resolved! Just my username :D

It's definitely not a foghorn noise, it's ticking / expansion! Went from an old oil boiler to a new gas boiler.

I think its just something your going to have to live with or lift the floors.
Slower heating will just slow the 'ticks' down.
It's easily done, I did at my own house and didn't notice untill after overboarding and installing fitted wardrobes.
I think it stopped eventually - probably with dust and cobwebs
When you say easily done / you didn't notice .. you had the same issue ? How long did it take to go away?

Here's an idea I've just had.
You could isolate individual rads to see if one (or two) is responsible for noise.
If not then your back where you started but if it is then you could maybe try adjusting/persuading pipes into slightly different positions or pack up rad a mm or two.
Might just be enough to stop it?

Oh... only about 7 years 😁

Hahah jesus! Roll on 2030! :D
In all seriousness, here's a thought - do you think the noise died out beause the boiler got older / wasn't pumping as strongly?
Here's an idea I've just had.
You could isolate individual rads to see if one (or two) is responsible for noise.
If not then your back where you started but if it is then you could maybe try adjusting/persuading pipes into slightly different positions or pack up rad a mm or two.
Might just be enough to stop it?

Cool I'll try, I know (almost) exactly which pipes the noise is coming from mind.. if there was no floors down I could have it resolved pretty quickly however not sure how herself would feel about me pulling up the new floors when the noise doesn't bother her!

Hahah jesus! Roll on 2030! :D
In all seriousness, here's a thought - do you think the noise died out beause the boiler got older / wasn't pumping as strongly?
No, I'm certain it makes no difference.
It's heat that makes them tick/expand.
Reducing flow temps would reduce it, as would scale in the pipes.

What about keyhole surgery with an inspection camera and some small holes in the ceiling?

Reply to 32 Ideal Vogue Max - reduce pump speed? (noisy expanding pipes) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock