Search the forum,

Discuss 30cdi plus BPS242RF heating issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil_188

Hi im new to the website but hoping someone may be able to help. Hopefully I've put the post in the right location. I currently have a 30cdi Worcester unit c/w wireless stat BPS242RF. The stat is set so heating comes on from 5am to 6.30am and from 4.30pm to 9.30pm. The issue is that even with these settings the heaters are continuing to be on and the system is controlling temp to the max 18c set point. This is even when the stat says the system should be off. Does this sound like a stat issue? I've tried resetting and also changing batteries in the thermostat, none of which help. If it is the stat can you reccomend any replacements? Thanks

Disconnect it (unplug it) and fit a honeywell cm927 wireless wired across the link.

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.
Before the failure we were looking at changing the thermostat anyway as it had very basic functionality so even if this doesn't fix the issue we'll have a much better thermostat. One other thing we were not sure of is that the stat we currently use is wireless. A couple of other questions sorry to say....
1.We use a lot of wireless equipment in the home now and have recently had a bt hub fitted for broadband. WOuld this cause any issues that you know of, and would it be better to get a wired version of the cm927 stat?
2. At the moment out Boss therm stat is also connected to a Honeywell frost stat. Does this complicate the wiring if i rewire the new stat myself or is the wiring pretty easy to follow?

A wired thermostat will always be more reliable but the honeywell wireless ones are very good. There is not much of a problem with other wireless thing interfering with them as they have their own frequency setting.
The boss stats (a rebranded seimens RDJ10) are among the most unreliable.
Just swap the receivers over. There is no need to change anything else or add other wires.
The wiring is on the back of the receiver. Live and neutral and either 1 or 2 switch wires depending on how it has been done. It is easy enough to follow.

Great advice from Tamz, but i think your frost stat is bringing the boiler on, i would still fit a Honeywell though

The boss stats are well known for developing a mind of their own. They were really a bad stat.
If it was the frost stat bringing it on it would only do so for short periods.

Thanks Tamz.

With regards to the frost stat. I did wonder about this but I thought it was just to provide a bit of protection and so would not make my heaters go on fully and increase temp to the indoor thermostat max setting of 18C.
if its the frost stat how would I resolve this/get around this. If its meant to do this i can't wait for the next bill. My boiler is in my garage and frost stat located a very short distance away.

If you have a cheap testing screwdriver you can test the frost stat. It just basically a switch and has 2 wires inside and if it is off only one wire will be live.
It should be set to about 6Âş (the dial is under the cover).
They should really be wired through a pipe stat which will turn it back off when the pipes heat but if it isn't don't worry about it.

The boss stats are well known for developing a mind of their own. They were really a bad stat.
If it was the frost stat bringing it on it would only do so for short periods.
Totally agree re boss and Siemens rubbish worst stat ever! Regards frost stat it depends how high it has been set on, funny how fault has just occurred with cold weather landing that's all

On the subject of these Siemens RF stats, I was in the plumb center last year, they had literally a black bin liner full of returned ones, the manager asked the rep if they wanted them back, as new ones had already being given out under warranty etc, his reply was "nah bin em, I would need an HGV to take all back" approx 90% recall rate not good!

OUCH! It makes you wonder whether the other 10% were working, or just fitted in empty properties?

LMAO Ray the answer is they lasted just longer than 12 months, we only ever fit Honeywell RF after this fiasco, as great we got a credit, but who pays for our time and customer hassle?

The frost stat was at about 2-3 so I've turned that up to 6. I've just bought the Honeywell cm927 as we have been after one with more functionality anyway. Will try tonight/tomorrow and see if anything changes.

Got the thermostat fitted. Really good with a lot more options/settings. Really happy with it. I checked the frost stat and am getting live at both terminals.

You should only have live at one terminal of the frost stat. If it is live on 2 it means the contacts are closed (it is switched on).
Try turning the frost stat down and see if it breaks the switch.

If it won't break you need to replace the frost stat.
Btw a CDi has built in frost protection which will protect the boiler.

1.We use a lot of wireless equipment in the home now and have recently had a bt hub fitted for broadband. WOuld this cause any issues that you know of, and would it be better to get a wired version of the cm927 stat?
2. At the moment out Boss therm stat is also connected to a Honeywell frost stat. Does this complicate the wiring if i rewire the new stat myself or is the wiring pretty easy to follow?
As mentioned the CM927 does not appear to interfere with other equipment. The CM907 is very easy to wire if a suitable route for the cable exists. Both require AA batteries anyway.
I tend to wire them on older boilers in the frost stat port as this guarantees that no internal clock does interfere with them and they provide a frost stat functionality themselves.
The only contra indication for doing so would be boilers that limit the flow temperature for the frost stat demand.

Stat now fitted, programmed but still getting same results. Opened the frost stat as per previous comment. I have turned the stat down to the minimum and both contacts are live. On Turning the stat down a click is heard at approx 4C but terminals still live.

Stat now fitted, programmed but still getting same results. Opened the frost stat as per previous comment. I have turned the stat down to the minimum and both contacts are live. On Turning the stat down a click is heard at approx 4C but terminals still live.

You need a new frost stat, they cost about a tenner or cut it off and either pull the wires or terminate them in a box (separate). Your boiler has built in frost protection so it will be fine. Your pipes may need it but that is your choice.

If you are going to replace the frost stat it would be a good time to add the bespoken pipe stat onto the system.

New frost stat is fitted so will see what happens. Heaters are off now which is a good start so heres hoping! Could someone double check the wiring below if possible. Think its right.
photo.jpg
Oh and i was thinking the old thermostat i replaced with the Honeywell one for more functionality is probably okay, so if anyone wants it let me know. Thought id ask cause everyone seems to love them!! ha ha

Aww the old frost stat problem.....thought so....yep wiring is correct as long as perm live is on left and switching pair on the right

Looks like heating is coming on/going off when it should now, so thank you very much to you all for your help. Very much appreciated!!! Especially with the current weather.Thanks again. Phil

Will do! I need to redo most of the wiring as I just roughly twisted them to get it fitted quickly. Thanks Tamz, Vern etc for all your help and remember I've got a boss therm if you want! You know you want it!

Remember the brown sleeving on the switch wire :wink: :lol:
Whilst sleeving supposedly potential free wires make sure you have put green and yellow shrink hose over the cut off earth wire to secure it. :sorcerer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 30cdi plus BPS242RF heating issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock