Search the forum,

Discuss 3 Way Valve Location? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rem

Sorry if this has been covered before but i have done a search and couldn't find anything.

My hot water is still working but i have been unable to get the central heating to work. A plumber has been out and said this is because the three way valve needs replacing. He told me it would be somewhere between my boiler and the storage tank and that once i'd ripped up my floorboards and found it then he would come back and replace it. Ripped up all the floorboards and its not there, he's now told me that it could therefore be anywhere in the house and i will have to rip up the floorboards through out the house to find it and he can't help until i've done that.

Is there any easy way to trace it? I've followed the 22mm pipes from the bolier to the storage tank and its not there.

Sounds like a helpful chap! can you see the pump? is it near that? can you see the junction box (where all the wiring goes) follow the wires from there? it needs power to work so it must be relatively close to electricity. Is it in the loft, I've seen them in there on occasions. I dont want to be rude or unhelpful but do you know what three way valve looks like? you may have 2x two port valves so you may be looking for either.

Hopefully, someone else will come back as well with a few more tips...

Thanks for the reply, before all the problems i didn't know what a 3 way valve looked like but i do now after trying to work out where it might be, i had a look online.

The loft might be an idea. I found my pump (all corroded and leaking slightly) below the boiler hidden behind one of the kitchen units, i couldn't see the valve still though.

Definetly check the loft it may be near the loft tanks. Failing that I'd look for the junction box, find the pump lead and follow that. Valves and pumps are normally easy(ish) to find. When there installed we know sooner or later work will have to be done on them.

The room stat and the cylinder stat may also give you a clue follow the wires (not the yellow brick road):confused:

how many pipes off the boiler? i'm concerned the 'plumber' might not recognise your system due to his reluctance to return, 2 pipes (water) could be using a valve (a fully pumped system), but four pipes (water) would more than likely be a pump as there won't be a valve(gravity system).

Smoggs,

Thanks, I hadn't considered that the "plumber" was wrong, just presumed he was being a "bit" lazy.

Thanks for the replies i got a proper plumber in the end who told me that i don't have a valve on my system, took him 5 minutes to replace the pump and all is working again now.

I did phone up the company that sent the two previous plumbers to complain and all i got was "well our plumbers identified a fault with your valve and they are exeperienced and qualified so we will need to see a report from the plumber you arranged" - my response ended in "off".

I did phone up the company that sent the two previous plumbers to complain and all i got was "well our plumbers identified a fault with your valve and they are exeperienced and qualified so we will need to see a report from the plumber you arranged" - my response ended in "off".
You should take them up and sent them the second plumber's report, together with his bill for solving your problem and producing the report. Enclose a covering letter headed "Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended)".

Say that Section 13 of the Act says:

"In a contract for the supply of a service where the supplier is acting in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the supplier will carry out the service with reasonable care and skill."

They are in breach of this term and, as a result, you have had to employ a second contractor to carry out the work. So you are looking to them to reimburse you the second plumbers costs (you can't expect them to pay for the pump - just the labour), including the cost of preparing the report.

Tell them that if they do not pay up within seven days you will take them to the Small Claims Court. That would cost them even more!

Send them copy of the second plumbers invoice for the work and a copy off his invoice for preparing the report.

PS The word "service" does not mean service in the sense of having you car/boiler serviced. Anyone who does work for you is providing a service.

PPS If the second plumber's total bill is less than the first plumber's, then you should ask the first plumber to refund all his charges and pay the second plumber's report charge. This is to ensure you pay the lowest labour charge for doing the job.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies i got a proper plumber in the end who told me that i don't have a valve on my system, took him 5 minutes to replace the pump and all is working again now.

wahoo !!! one up for smoggs!!!!:D

you cant do that!.
did the origional plumber get his tools out?
did he encounter an error in their work?.
did they have reasonable time/oppertunity to correct their mistake onsite?.
and did you pay for this service?

you cant do that!.
did the origional plumber get his tools out?
did he encounter an error in their work?.
did they have reasonable time/oppertunity to correct their mistake onsite?.
and did you pay for this service?

slow down redsaw!!!!! i was just jubilant that i diagnosed correctly !! didnt notice the other stuff in my haste!! even i make mistakes:(

The first two plumbers were sent by my insurance company so i am taking it up with them and sending the invoice. The first "plumber" diagnosed the fault as my three way valve. He said it was up to me to find it and it would be somewhere between the boiler and tank and i would have to rip up all the floorboards in my bedroom to find it.

After ripping all the floorboards up i still couldn't find it, the insurance company sent a second plumber who still insisted the fault was the 3 way valve, and when i asked if there had to be one he said yes there will definitely be one but as he didn't do the original plumbing it could be anywhere in the house and i would have to keep ripping up floorboards till i found it!!! I thought this can't be true so posted on here and got a local plumber to come out who straight away said it will be the pump and on my system there is no valve.

Its quite clear the first two guys didn't give a **** and couldn't be arsed to look/do the job properly. I tried to get the company used by the insurance company to come back but they wanted to see a full report before they would send someone back out and wanted 48 hours to consider the report and prepare a response. At that point i lost it and told them to fu*k off and i'd send the report and bill to my insurer once it was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 Way Valve Location? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock