Search the forum,

Discuss 3 way diverter cistern / bidet spray and flexible tail in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I am currently planning on replacing the siphon in the cistern and I am also considering whether I can add a hand bidet sprayer (similar to this:- bidet sprayer )

I am unsure if my solution is the correct answer. I am looking to add a flexible tail (short 150mm) with isolator from the mains water pipe and then connect the tail to a 3 way diverter. This would then connect to the cistern and also the bidet sprayer.

This is the current piping arrangement:-

current_pipework_1.jpg

The pipework is quite short

current_pipework_2.jpg

current_pipework_3.jpg

The flexible tail and diverter I am looking to add:flexible_tail.jpg3_way_diverter.jpg

Given the short current pipe, is a flexible hose a good replacement idea, and only a 150mm, or should I use a 300mm (but I was concerned re it being too long and potentially kinking).

Any help much appreciated!
thanks

I am unsure if my solution is the correct answer.

Unfortunately, the answer is no, and doing so would be breaking UK law, in relation to the water supply (water fittings) regulations 1999. These are a fluid category risk 5 (the highest) and can only be fed from a separate tank supply (also known as a break tank).

It’s frightening to think how many of this type of thing have been fitted in recent “Amazon years”...?

I must have refused a dozen or so, but I know of other less scrupulous/ more stupid ‘tradesmen’ who have fitted them.

Thank you Aquarius and Ben-gee for your responses. I'm glad I posted my question on this forum! I have seen the connections of this type in various houses I have visited, which put the idea in my mind -thank goodness I checked here first!

Following on from the advice - we have an existing bidet (rim type) (hot and cold feed) with ascending spray that we inherited when we bought the house - seems to date back to the 1980s - there is no tank in the loft - so would it also be illegal - or as it pre-dates the legislation would this be a non-conformance only ? Apologies for the laymans questions!

Also, setting aside the bidet sprayer as a non-starter, I would now only be looking to install an isolation valve to the cistern - given the short distance, would the short flexible tail with isolator be the best choice - or is there a rigid option?

Thanks

I’m presuming your installation should be ok, water bye-laws still existed in the 80’s, these were superseded by the current regs (1999). Have a look here, and see if it’s any use?

As for your wc inlet, a service valve might work if you cut the pipe square at the base of the existing tap connector: Straight Service Valve 15mm x ½ - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/straight-service-valve-15mm-x-/58008?tc=BT9&ds_kid=92700055281954514&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49K3746b6wIVQe7tCh2HpAliEAQYASABEgIxsvD_BwE

Following on from the advice - we have an existing bidet (rim type) (hot and cold feed) with ascending spray that we inherited when we bought the house - seems to date back to the 1980s - there is no tank in the loft - so would it also be illegal - or as it pre-dates the legislation would this be a non-conformance only ? Apologies for the laymans questions!

You are correct that the Water Regulations are not retrospective so, providing the bidet was to standard at the time of installation, it has grandfathers' rights. (The water board could ask you to remove it, but that is unlikely to happen).

If you wanted to make the ascending spray more compliant than it is at present (still not to current standards but significantly better than what you have), fitting double check (non-return) valves to the pipework immediately under the tap serving the bidet would be a reasonably inexpensive way of doing so.

Last edited:
I’m presuming your installation should be ok, water bye-laws still existed in the 80’s, these were superseded by the current regs (1999). Have a look here, and see if it’s any use?

As for your wc inlet, a service valve might work if you cut the pipe square at the base of the existing tap connector: Straight Service Valve 15mm x ½ - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/straight-service-valve-15mm-x-/58008?tc=BT9&ds_kid=92700055281954514&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49K3746b6wIVQe7tCh2HpAliEAQYASABEgIxsvD_BwE

Thanks

Would you not recommend using a flexible tail (short 150mm) for pipework I have on the cistern (re the photos).

I don't use mybuilder or similar but I do sometimes have a look and see plenty of requests for this kind of thing. I often wonder what their liability would be for this kind of work (esp.bum-gun type installation) if illegal work they (mybodger etc.) facilitated and profited from goes wrong...
Cholera is endemic in many countries and as we can currently see illness can cross the world before we realize...
Hey ho.

There’s no harm in it, unless you kink it. You asked about rigid pipework, merely just giving that option.

As a professional - if you were approaching this job which would you go for for longevity - flexible tail, or a straight service valve?

On one other point - I came across the layout in the photo below in my office -I was intrigued by the chrome pipework (marked with the yellow arrow) - is this a new way of doing things? or_st.jpg

Reply to 3 way diverter cistern / bidet spray and flexible tail in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock