Search the forum,

Discuss 3 port valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
How can you tell if it's just the motor that has gone on a 3 port valve?

Can you install a unbranded motor or does it need to be the Honeywell one? A big price difference
As undertrained said, There are cheap ones but they will not last as long. The last cheap one I bought from Corgi direct via this forum and it was very noisy. I think you are better sticking to Danfos or similar even though they are more expensive.

If just replacing the head not the motor or full valve I find it earlier to use these for the wiring instead of going on to the box. Do others?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-30-11-22-42-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-30-11-22-42-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 3
You can see the actual motor turning?
You can normally see the valve opening but if not, you could remove the motor.
More often than not there is no reading through the winding or the gears are seizing up and making it difficult for the motor to turn. It is obvious if the motor is at fault.

In answer to your question below, no, if I replace the motor I use the connections that come with it and there are a few options but if I replace the valve or head (very rarely replace the head only to be honest), I just connect in to what's there already and test it.

Can I ask why you very rarely change the head only?
I rarely do that because there is rarely anything wrong with the head, it is normally the motor which has failed and the cost of a head only isn't far off a full valve. I think if it's in a condition where the head needs replacing, the valve is probably in the same condition. This is only based on my experience of course. Other folk will do things differently. There is no right or wrong way of doing it.

They read around 1.9 kilohms. (kilo ohms), or there and there abouts. If they have a failed winding (winding broke) they don't read anything as there is no continuity. As I mentioned previously, sometimes they seize or start to and they aren't powerful enough to make the valve open to the micro-switch but you can tell by moving the manual lever that the resistance is stronger than it should be.

I rarely do that because there is rarely anything wrong with the head, it is normally the motor which has failed and the cost of a head only isn't far off a full valve. I think if it's in a condition where the head needs replacing, the valve is probably in the same condition.
Do you replace microswitches as well, or is this new head time?

Do you replace microswitches as well, or is this new head time?
No I wouldn't.
The valve and motors are in stock (van) so I would decide valve or motor and crack on. I wouldn't get involved with anything else. The aim is to be professional and cost effective with no call back/return work. Do the best job you can and do it once. If there is any suspicion it could be something other than a simple motor replacement, then replace the valve.

Again, this is only my view on things. It is based on my own experience.

Reply to 3 port valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My towel rail is not electric but separate to central heating and has been working consistently but since the 2 port valve was replaced on Monday because the radiators were not working it has stopped working, if I go into the loft and press the flame button on and off it seems to come back to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
Hi, looking for some advice. We have had an issue with our boiler of late and recently had a 3 port actuator replaced. What’s happening now is when we turn the water and heating on by the control panel the boiler cuts out after a couple of minutes. We opened the valve of the actuator and now...
Replies
Views
Hay, I'm learning fault finding in CH systems which I'd need help with, please. I've been given a set example: have got hot water but heating. Measuring the resistance around the room thermostat and the motorised valve together gives a lower total resistance than measuring the individual...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock