Search the forum,

Discuss 3 port valve problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

passthehammer

Open coal fire which supplies hot water and feeds the radiators. Fitted is an Altech 3 port valve model No.ALTHC011, which is only 3-4 years old. Problem started a few days back, and it seems that only the hot water tank is receiving hot water from the boiler. (Baxi 3 sided boiler) Examining the 3 port valve, its lever is 'loose' and can be moved freely to the left or the right. Does this indicate that the 3 port valve is faulty ?
My moving that lever (by hand) to either of its 2 positions, can I manually change where the hot water is being sent to, ie the hot water tank, or the radiators ?
The original 3 port valve fitted was a Landis & Gyr, which certainly lasted more than the 3-4 yrs which the Altech has managed.
Assuming that the Altech cannot be repaired and will have to be replaced completely, what other makes of 3 port valves are recommended.
Thanks in anticipation.

is the 3 port valve on the gravity from the solid fuel?

honeywell make the best valves, tho you should not have a 3port on a solid fuel system normally.

Thank you both for your interest and replies. The hot water tank and all the works are upstairs. The system works with a Grundfos pump, so is not gravity fed. (Coal fire downstairs in sitting room.) You both remark that it is unusual for a 3 port valve, what are the cons against it ? What would be the alternative ?
The set up has been in use since about 1996 and has run successfully apart from the two occasions when a plumber has had to replace the valve due to its failure.
The current valve is an Altech, but from googling I find that opinion of Altech is not so good. That is why I was thinking of the Honeywell brand, or any other make which can be recommended.

Normally today as standard any solid fuel heat source would be connected to your hot water system via gravity with a normally open zone valve and cylinder stat, along side this would be heat leak radiator/s to use the excess heat when the cylinder is at temp and closed off. The reason this is done is the heat source can not easily be turned off but it needs to keep using the heat generated.

if the system work then it works, id go for a honeywell valve.

does the system control the hot water temps well and keep them to a max of around 55-60 degrees?

AWheating, Thanks for that reply. Yes, there is a thermostat on the cylinder set at 50f. It is still working as I have turned the themostat up and down and can hear it clicking. When the cylinder reaches the set temp. that is when the 3 port valve operates and diverts the water to the radiators. The problem started when water got too hot and would not go to the radiators. Possibly an air lock in the flow/return pipes. Matters have eased in last 2 days with hottish water getting to 4 of the 5 rads, so it looks like I will have to start balancing again. As you may have gathered I am not in the trade, only a householder.
If a change of valve is required then I will go for a Honeywell as you suggest, and let a plumber do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 port valve problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock