Search the forum,

Discuss 23 year old Vaillant Thermocompact needs replacing - flue problems? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We built our detached house 23 yrs ago, having a Vaillant Thermocompact boiler with a Megaflo tank, and it's been excellent. The boiler sits in a room under the stairs, with the flue discharging out of the side wall (no windows or doors) at a height of around 2.5m from the ground. The boundary wall is about 150-200mm in from the boundary, with a neighbour's end wall (no windows or doors) 1.5-2m away, just the passageway between the two houses.

The old boiler is making very strange noises and the temp gauge has stopped working. I've had conflicting opinions from local tradesmen and BG about what can and can't be done with the flue if we replace it. I know it doesn't comply with current regs - it was out of date by the end of the first year! - but is there a blanket requirement to comply with all new regs when replacing? BG couldn't see how to re-route the flue as the house is built with a 150mm steel frame, and can't go through floor space etc. easily because there's always a steel in the way. They eventually came up with a complete new system with the boiler the other side of the house, in the loft space, at over 15k.

Opinions gratefully received!

Could it go vertical eg through the roof ?

I think there's been a response to my posting, but I can't read it as the page is covered in ads. Is this forum still functioning, or has it sunk under the ads? When I've used it in the past it's been really helpful, but this is hopeless!
That said, I guess nobody will be able to read this either, so...
I think the reply asked about going up through the roof, but I can't find it now. The flue can't go just straight up as it would have to be on the inside of the staircase above making it difficult to use the stairs. It could probably go up on the external wall, but I don't know if that's allowed.

Hi All

I know the ads have been a bit crazy.

The reason is that we need income from the ads to run the forum and to find the best provider Dan has been testing a few (and working all through the night doing it). We don't mind if people want to use adblockers. Members can also support the forum and get rid of ads by becoming a subscriber for £1.99 per month.

You can have a look at the different options here

Regards
Lou

The ads are an annoyance but not as much as the fact that they always cover at least half the text and are forever moving up and down whilst we're trying to read the text.

Spot the text;;;

Ads Plumbers.PNG

The ads are an annoyance but not as much as the fact that they always cover at least half the text and are forever moving up and down whilst we're trying to read the text.

Spot the text;;;

View attachment 72773
Sorry guys, I simply can't read any of your responses except the last line. I don't really understand it - if the advertisers cover everything with ads making it unreadable, nobody uses the site so nobody sees the ads! Maybe it's worse on a mac?

Reply to 23 year old Vaillant Thermocompact needs replacing - flue problems? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock