Search the forum,

Discuss 2010 - Diplomas replacing NVQs -inside info in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like in all areas eg construction the NVQs are being replaced with Diplomas. - Technical certificates are going aswell.

The lead body summit skills have realised that there are too many plumber trainees doing technical certificate and not going on to do the NVQ bit -
Something like last year 50000 done tech cert and 7000 went on to do nvq bit-

Summit skills are worried 43000 people each year are disapearing into the industry and not being fully qualified -

The Diplomas are designed so that those not employed in the industry can only go so far (safety modules only) and get a certificate for what theyve learned before you have to work in the industry to complete the whole diploma -

Basically any units which arnt the completed diploma will say in bold this is not a complete plumbing qualification.

- I still think the best way to learn and cheapest is through a college via day or evening class.

chris

This might be the reason my college has told me that after doing the level 1 course(wich i start in september) you have to be in employment as a plumber do then go onto the level 2 tech cert????

I can't find this info on the summit skills site. Link?

All this was revealed at this meeting -

[DLMURL="http://www.cityandguilds.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-4D74F5C3-7C00F908/cgonline/hs.xsl/39508.html"]City & Guilds | February 2009: SummitSkills consultation events for proposed new qualifications[/DLMURL]

Lead is disapearing from the scheme and electrics is being phased out in level 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Lead is disapearing from the scheme and electrics is being phased out in level 2

I can understand lead being removed though I hope it becomes a part of a 6129 level 3 equivalent of these diplomas. It's still a plumber's job and I know plenty of guys who do regular lead work.

For the life of me though I can't comprehend why they're removing electrics. It's probably the trade plumbing overlaps with the most. I think it's important that future plumbers learn at least safe isolation and wiring of components at a later stage.

Electrics are being removed because you can no longer do ANY electrical work or installation with out having part 'P'.
Another money making rip-off.

This might be the reason my college has told me that after doing the level 1 course(wich i start in september) you have to be in employment as a plumber do then go onto the level 2 tech cert????

You have to be working in the trade to get an nvq but the level 2 Tech Cert. is done in a training centre/class room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank Christ that I am away from that country now, talk about monkeys etc, at least in France the minimum for an apprentice is still two years, and for an adult re-training its 18 months full time training minimum

Just come acros this from nearly 12 months ao, interesting stats. So thats why they are merging the qual into 1

im with you on that one fuzzy, didnt even realise commenting on this thread:confused:

Hi all, I am not currently in the industry but I was planning on doing the 6129 and get a work placement while studying (as I thought it would be easier for find work while training on the C&G level 2), then do the NVQ2/3 while working. But now that all seems to changed as they are doing away with 6129 and 6089, and replacing it with the QCF which is a work based assessment. Anyone got any ideas on another way of becoming a qualified plumber in 4 years for someone in my position, which is an adult learner not yet working in the industry?

Warm regards Jason

as i am aware you can still do the course but will not be able to take the work based module, thus meaning at the end of your course you will not have the full qualifaction.

but there is nothing stopping you going back to do the work based module at a later date once you have someone to take you on so that you can do it. hope this helps.

as i am aware you can still do the course but will not be able to take the work based module, thus meaning at the end of your course you will not have the full qualifaction.

but there is nothing stopping you going back to do the work based module at a later date once you have someone to take you on so that you can do it. hope this helps.

Thanks Andy, you have settled my mind no end. Hopfuly I will still be able to do the course (QCF) at the Somerset College of Arts and Technology where I enroled for the 6129. As yet they dont seem to have finalised with C&G the new courses, and what ones they will be running as to times (block/evening) etc... I will just keep ringing them for updates. In your opinion do you think they would still be able to offer evening classes with the new type of course? Thanks again for your reply. Warm regards Jason

im really not sure myself if your college will do a night course, i think every college is different, my tutor will find out in may what is happening, but i will keep you and every one else updated as i find out myself.

good luck

Hi all, I am not currently in the industry but I was planning on doing the 6129 and get a work placement while studying (as I thought it would be easier for find work while training on the C&G level 2), then do the NVQ2/3 while working. But now that all seems to changed as they are doing away with 6129 and 6089, and replacing it with the QCF which is a work based assessment. Anyone got any ideas on another way of becoming a qualified plumber in 4 years for someone in my position, which is an adult learner not yet working in the industry?

Warm regards Jason

you are in the same boat as so many others mate. whether the new or old scheme you need a job in the industry to egt the full qual, my advice is get a job or dont bother

you are in the same boat as so many others mate. whether the new or old scheme you need a job in the industry to egt the full qual, my advice is get a job or dont bother

Thanks, been trying fuzzy, thats why I offered voluntary.....thought it would be easier tho if employers knew I was serious cause I was already studying. Warm regards

Thanks, been trying fuzzy, thats why I offered voluntary.....thought it would be easier tho if employers knew I was serious cause I was already studying. Warm regards

not easy i know but lots of emplyers are being asked by newbiews offering their services for nothing, shame really

the word from the electricians is that all practical assessment in their new diploma comes from site, no practical assessment fom college only training

if plumbing follow the same suit it will be quite a change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2010 - Diplomas replacing NVQs -inside info in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock