Search the forum,

Discuss 20 year old UFH - Upgrade? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I have domestic water based UFH - 20 years old. House is 100 years old with 5 beds. UFH everywhere.
Works okay but perhaps could be better. Top of house is coldest.

I have newish worcester boiler(Greenstar 8000 life).
System is on 4 different storeys, 5 manifolds and perhaps 18 loops.
There IS a pump beside the boiler on the ground floor.

I am wondering;
(a) Do I need more that one pump?
(b) Should I have a thermometer at each manifold (I often end up putting my hand on the pipe trying to judge the heat level).
(c) Should I have some method of measuring the flow
(d) Gas prices are high (!) - Should I put UFH on - 24 hours per day Or would 12 do?
(e) Should I have system serviced?
(f) Should I replace manifolds parts?

Thanks all!

PS: The image is not my actual manifold but very similar

Attachments

• Manifold2022-07-04_13-18-06.jpg
    Manifold2022-07-04_13-18-06.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 16
Have you got a picture of boiler and pump ?

Have you got a picture of boiler and pump ?
Hi, See attached. Hopefully that helps. THis is the back porch of thehouse. There is a bedroom above and another bedrroom above that.

Attachments

• 2022-07-04_20-23-06.jpg
    2022-07-04_20-23-06.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 16
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-04 at 8.19.11 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-04 at 8.19.11 PM.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 17
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-04 at 8.18.57 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-04 at 8.18.57 PM.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 15
At the back pipe with the f on it where does this go ?

At the back pipe with the f on it where does this go ?
See image with 2 purple buttons indicating where the water goes.
The "f" pipe goes 2 ways. One at ground level towards the kitchen/house. The other is way is via a pressure gauge and at waist level into kitchen/house.
Incidentally, the boiler also does the hot water.

Attachments

• 2222022-07-04_21-28-04.jpg
    2222022-07-04_21-28-04.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 13
Yes I would agree your system needs sorting out as it sounds like maybe the pump either isn’t set up correctly or might not be strong enough etc

Thanks for your expertise.

One final question. Given that the UFH is on 3 levels/storeys of house... Do I need more than one pump?? Is it possible to say?

You might need an external pump depending on what the internal one is set too yes or might need balancing / setting up etc

Reply to 20 year old UFH - Upgrade? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock