Search the forum,

Discuss 2 tank to hopefully 1 in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have moved to a new house and have found 2 hot water tanks in the loft.One of the tanks feeds wash basins and kitchen sink with hot water, the other tank feeds a single bath with hot water. I cannot see why I need this extra tank and plan to plumb the bath to the single tank. My problem is, not being a heating man, the heating coils run first through the tank I don't want, then into the other tank. As I dont want to disturb this pipework, will it be ok to have this coil running through a dry tank. There is no thermostat on the bath tank, only on the other. It really is odd. I just think my main single tank would heat up quicker, be cheaper to run and supply enough hot water for just the 2 of us. Showers are electric. Please give me your thoughts on this matter. I am not touching anything without positive guidance. Thankyou.

Capacity prob couldn’t fit a big enough tank through the loft hatch

1. Agree with ShaunCorbs - probably a capacity issue.
2. No problem feeding primary coil of one tank with no secondary water in it, but:
2a. Other tank must have tank thermostat on it to shut off boiler when hot enough.
2b. You will waste a bit of heat heating up the air in the empty tank.

We have moved to a new house and have found 2 hot water tanks in the loft.One of the tanks feeds wash basins and kitchen sink with hot water, the other tank feeds a single bath with hot water.

If there's enough space for a single tank then it's possible that this was done to avoid overloading the ceiling joists. Check the spacing, dimensions and load bearing capacity of the joists carefully as part of your planning. If in doubt, consult a structural engineer.

Reply to 2 tank to hopefully 1 in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to replace the 3 way vale on my open heating system. Hoping someone can advise. In the picture, to isolate the valve I am going to turn off 1, 2 & 3. However as you can see I can't turn anything off between the valve and the hot water tank. If I use a bung in the header tank, will...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock