Search the forum,

Discuss 2 seperate heating systems - how do they work together? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have recently moved house and trying to understand how my heating systems work, and this is because it seems to be inconsistent. Firstly to explain my setup, I have a normal heating system with a tank in the loft and cylinder in the airing cupboard and Honeywell wall stat. My house also has an extension with underfloor heating in. This has a digital thermostat on the wall.

What I don't understand is why my heating system is inconsistent. When i use the digital thermostat in the extension, sometimes all the radiators come on in the house and at other times it's just the underfloor heating that comes on in the extension. And when I use the original wall stat in the house, sometimes all the radiators come on in the house (albeit minus the extension), and at other times they don't and I only get hot water. Why? Are the two systems in conflict with each other? I have a separate 3 port valve for each system - could it be their positioning? I notice the lever on the 3 port valve for the original house has no resistance when i push it so I think the motor or whole head unit needs replacing. I touched the motor and it was very hot - i thought it was only meant to get warm?

Thanks for any thoughts!

I have recently moved house and trying to understand how my heating systems work, and this is because it seems to be inconsistent. Firstly to explain my setup, I have a normal heating system with a tank in the loft and cylinder in the airing cupboard and Honeywell wall stat. My house also has an extension with underfloor heating in. This has a digital thermostat on the wall.

What I don't understand is why my heating system is inconsistent. When i use the digital thermostat in the extension, sometimes all the radiators come on in the house and at other times it's just the underfloor heating that comes on in the extension. And when I use the original wall stat in the house, sometimes all the radiators come on in the house (albeit minus the extension), and at other times they don't and I only get hot water. Why? Are the two systems in conflict with each other? I have a separate 3 port valve for each system - could it be their positioning? I notice the lever on the 3 port valve for the original house has no resistance when i push it so I think the motor or whole head unit needs replacing. I touched the motor and it was very hot - i thought it was only meant to get warm?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Think you need to change to an s plan heating system

As the guys have stated pictures of the system are needed here , a system like this would normally be piped as a Honeywell S plan plus system using three 2 port valves one for each circuit and have timed and temperature control for each ?? Kop

Thanks for your replies...photos attached. And just noticed it is a 2 port valve for the underfloor system with a pump, and an additional pump in airing cupboard with 3 port valve.

Attachments

• 20200607_104641.jpg
    20200607_104641.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200607_104910.jpg
    20200607_104910.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200607_104851.jpg
    20200607_104851.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200607_104717.jpg
    20200607_104717.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200607_104809.jpg
    20200607_104809.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200607_104754.jpg
    20200607_104754.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200607_104700.jpg
    20200607_104700.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 22
Holey Moley that looks a quality install on the underfloor.

Best bet is to get somebody on site who is familiar with heating systems and their wiring. Set of testers and some time will get you sorted.

With a three port valve your either have heating only , hot water only or both , add in a underfloor circuit then the three port heating circuit needs to be open so the primary heating hot water can circulate around the system and back to the boiler to be heated , the issue you having is possibly caused by the heating water short circuiting and creeping up the return into the radiators ect when it should be off or satisfied, needs a engineer who.know his way round a multimeter and probably a modification from a three port to two 2 ports plus your underfloor valve . Kop

A two port and a three port (be it diverter or mid position) makes sense now. There's no reason why this layout can't work, providing installed and wired in correctly. As above try to find someone familiar with UFH and competent with heating system wiring.

Reply to 2 seperate heating systems - how do they work together? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get hot water ok but the heating doesn't come on when turning the thermostat to a higher temperature. I've got a 2 way motorized diverter valve which would...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock