Search the forum,

Discuss 2 Port Zone Valve - Clicking in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Replaced a dead syncron motor in a Grasslin 2 port zone valve, however when connected back up & triggered by the thermostat it's now creating a constant clicking noise - caused by the actuator lever attempting to move towards the manual/open end.

See this YouTube link for an example of the problem...

Does anyone have any experience of a similar problem or how to resolve? Is it likely the whole Actuator/Valve needs replacing? (Opens up fine if I put it in the manual open position, but doing that doesn't make the micro-switch trigger the underfloor heating pump)

You've either not put the motor in properly or the head mech is completely knackered. If so the head will need replacing, however if the back is stiff to turn once the head is removed this could be the cause of the issue. However seeming it's UFH the head has probably been open long periods of time and worn out due to usage.

I had a similar problem about 18 months ago & the plumber supplied & fitted a replacement valve for about ÂŁ200... just a tad annoying to shell out ÂŁ200 every 18 months for something that I thought I may be able to fix myself as I'm fine with electrics (not knowledgeable enough to replace complete valve myself though)

I will try removing the syncron motor again & reseating it, but as a next step would you suggest getting a replacement actuator or when you say the head may need replacing does that mean the whole valve likely needs to be swapped out? (in which case I'll likely get on the phone to the plumber!)

I don't suppose anyone knows if a Grasslin actuator can be swapped for a Corgi/Honeywell model as they look the same?

Tempted by the Drayton valves as I see the actuators can be swapped out with a 'snap on' installation, so if this is going to be a regular thing it may make replacing easier/cheaper in the long term?

Has he not replaced with a Honeywell valve? Honeywell ones are usually pretty good and will last. Not overly keen on the Drayton valves as had issues with the microswitches sticking. At the end of the day it's only two screws which hold the head to the body anyway.

Any valves if they are open for long periods of time won't last, zone valves are designed to be operated 24/7 and hence will burn out/fail quicker if they are used like that.

I have a siemens zone valve with a sfa71u 24v actuator. It clicks and sticks at a point, and i have to replace the actuator. is there any other actuator i can use without changing the valve.

Reply to 2 Port Zone Valve - Clicking in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a 4 zone / 7 loop UFH system. 2 zones (4 loops) always get hot when the system is on when the zone thermostats and actuators are off. The video posted shows when I turn on another zones the flow meters drop. (Kitchen prep and kitchen TV are the issue, two at either end of the...
Replies
Views
I have an older gas boiler HW heating system with a taco circulator pump for each zone that worked fine last season. When turning it on for the 1st time this season I found a problem with the boiler not running on one of the zones. If I turn on the heat to zone 1 I hear the system...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have UFH set up with a HIU in my flat. My issue is that one zone (Bedroom 2) does not heat up. All other zones working and heating as expected. Have checked the relevant thermostat, as well as the electrical actuator for the specific zone. Both look ok Checked return pin valve -...
Replies
Views
J
Hi I have a honeywell programmer which does 10 min cycles but with the zone valve fitted it is closed during a 4.5 min long pump only cycle. Is there a way to stop this and only close when pump stops. It is open during heat and pump part but you can gradually loose a warm rad with it not...
Replies
Views
My 3 way actuator valve has gone on my central heating. I think it's a combination of the valve motor burning out due to a stiff valve on the pipework. I'm considering doing the fix myself but wanted to check I know what I'm doing beforehand or whether I should get a plumber in, have I missed...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock