Search the forum,

Discuss 2 loos and a bath blocked in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

miket

Hi guys,

Recently, the upstairs loo started to make a strange, loud gurgling noise hours after anyone even used it. I went to investigate and there it was blowing bubbles. I flushed it and noticed the soak away was slow. My wife later noticed it can't flush properly and needs 2 or 3 goes to flush. Then we noticed water back-flowing up the bath plug-hole, so I bought a plunger. Plunging with the bath plug in caused the sink to then spill water and some black debris.

To make matters worse, the next day we found the cloakroom loo is also not flushing properly now either. Plunging seems to have little effect, and we're a bit scared it's going to get worse upstairs.

I've read about snake augers and using caustic soda but I'd rather ask your advice here before going further.

cheers,
Mike

Hi, does the top of the soil stack terminate inside or outside of the house? If so the first thing I would be doing is going into the loft (or wherever it terminates if internally) and removing the push fit automatic air vent that sits on top. Then try flushing the toilets a few times and see if this solves the problem or not.

Nearly always, blockages are due to either inappropriate items being flushed down loos or soil stacks not being installed in accordance with Building Regulations. Its unusual for vertical sections of soil pipes to block, the problem is usually in horizontal runs in the wet section of the pipe. Can you trace your soil pipe to see where it runs?

PS - Don't use caustic soda, if you need to call a drain unblocker out they won't thank you for using this stuff! Nasty stuff..

Last edited:
sounds like you have a block in the stack or the main sewer outside. lift a manhole and check.

Hi guys,

Recently, the upstairs loo started to make a strange, loud gurgling noise hours after anyone even used it. I went to investigate and there it was blowing bubbles. I flushed it and noticed the soak away was slow. My wife later noticed it can't flush properly and needs 2 or 3 goes to flush. Then we noticed water back-flowing up the bath plug-hole, so I bought a plunger. Plunging with the bath plug in caused the sink to then spill water and some black debris.

To make matters worse, the next day we found the cloakroom loo is also not flushing properly now either. Plunging seems to have little effect, and we're a bit scared it's going to get worse upstairs.

I've read about snake augers and using caustic soda but I'd rather ask your advice here before going further.

cheers,
Mike

your drains blocked get a plumber in.

that seems to be your answer to everything, get a plumber in lol some people like to do things theirselfs you know and alot of people are perfectly capable of doing it

thats why i said he should have a look first and try to borrow or buy some rods. if all else fails call a drainage engineer not a plumber. plumbers do plumbing, drainage engineers do drains.

sounds like you are. what i mean is if its after the interceptor or rods wont shift it then maybe you need a jetting machine, but it may be simple. give the guy a call, bit of a trek from glasgow but you are the special 1. lol. buy the way so am I.

lol yeh i know what you mean mate, I will take on anything tbh and if fails then pass it on to the jetter guys as hiring one of those machines out is a fortune and you'd be cheaper getting the guys in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2 loos and a bath blocked in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock