Search the forum,

Discuss 2 gas fires in a divided room? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

exedon2

Esteemed
Just had a call from my 94 year old aunt (lives on south coast)
Today had a annual gas service. Many years ago very large room dividend in two plastered stud wall pair of doors in middle doors never opened (but could be)
Gas fire in each room, engineer has disconnected one fire saying you can't have 2 fires in one room .
Second opinions please.

You can have two fires in one room if it is what you might class as a sunshine room.
It depends on a few factors of course.
Can you give dimensions of said room as well as the input of each gas fire and the type of each gas fire?

Will give her a call get dimensions and see if someone can send pictures.
Sunshine rooms (as I call them) were usually two rooms knocked through to form one large room. Some had dividing doors, some did not. The reason two fires were allowed in this scenario was due to there being a fire in each room prior to losing the wall. Therefore, the adventitious air would usually be enough for both fires and provided one flue did not effect the other during testing, it was an acceptable thing to do.

I haven't seen your room or the fires of course and your man may be correct if the room is obviously one room with a fire plus one as opposed to two rooms with two fires, made into one room with two fires. I suppose it depends on interpretation but best to start with dimensions, fire types and inputs.

You say 'annual gas service', has no-one mentioned it before this?

I thought it was just additional ventilation required, with adventitious ventilation knocked off for 1 fire only? Also providing that the flue flow was adequate and one wasn’t counteracting the other?

Do they share the same flue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was just additional ventilation required, with adventitious ventilation knocked off for 1 fire only? Also providing that the flue flow was adequate and one wasn’t counteracting the other?

Do they share the same flue?
Multi appliance ventilation, yes maybe you're right but it depends, like a lot of things in this job lol.

If a wall has been removed between two rooms leaving the two original fires, so long as they are similar/same type with similar height flues and each is less than 7Kw, it doesn't necessarily need additional ventilation. You wouldn't require ventilation if the wall remained so the general theory is that there was enough adventitious ventilation before the wall went, so there must still be enough now, if not more.
There are a good number of things involved in this of course which may lead to it being a plain 'No'.

This case is the other way around isn't it? we don't yet know if this room was so big that it had two fires installed originally and they split it or if the room was big enough to split and then they installed two fires or an additional fire to an existing one.
That's why more detail is needed i.e. room size, fire type, inputs, flue heights, how the scenario came about and what was in originally etc.

Having not seen it personally I cannot say what I would think if I were stood there in the room. It may need multi appliance ventilation calculations as you rightly pointed out or may need nothing. It was more the 'you can't have 2 fires in one room', remark that sounded a bit cut and dried to me. The first thing that went through my mind were all the instances I have seen.

The service Engineer may be well experienced and have seen something that makes it a definite no.
They could also be lacking in experience with these situations as you see less and less of them.

Yes I agree we don’t know the ins and outs regards the room volume, ventilation etc only the OP, their Aunt and the visiting engineer. The adventitious ventilation still stands as it’s one room now with multiple open flued appliances. I wouldn’t say there’s more adventitious ventilation, as this is only applicable to the gaps in the building, if the wall was still there then you can deduct it from ventilation requirements, the wall has been removed so it just becomes one big room. I think if both fires total combined heat output is say 7 Kw, then might be ok, but if they’re combined is say 14Kw, then ventilation calculations come into play.

Yes I agree we don’t know the ins and outs regards the room volume, ventilation etc only the OP, their Aunt and the visiting engineer. The adventitious ventilation still stands as it’s one room now with multiple open flued appliances. I wouldn’t say there’s more adventitious ventilation, as this is only applicable to the gaps in the building, if the wall was still there then you can deduct it from ventilation requirements, the wall has been removed so it just becomes one big room. I think if both fires total combined heat output is say 7 Kw, then might be ok, but if they’re combined is say 14Kw, then ventilation calculations come into play.
I get where you're coming from. By the way, this isn't something I made up you know? It is in the regs/standards etc.
Like I say, it is normally referring to two rooms knocked into one though.

Reply to 2 gas fires in a divided room? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock