Search the forum,

Discuss 2 different Temperatures from same shower in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

New here and have a bit of a weird one for you!

Installed a concealed shower valve on a job with a rainfall shower head, and a handheld as well.

The customer specifically wanted to be able to have both the rainfall and handheld on at the same time, and the supplier i was using only had one shower that could do this.

We installed the shower and all works fine, however the customer was saying that the rainfall head is coming out colder than the handheld... which was a bit odd. But i thought possibly because its a bigger head, meaning bigger surface area and more air around it etc... and with it being further away, it would make it feel slightly colder. (which is the only explanation the supplier and guys in the merchants could come up with too)

Spoke to the supplier and they said we can change the cartridge.

So now I've changed the cartridge, and the problem is still there, but now the handheld is colder than the overhead... which puts my theory to S**T.

Anyone else ever heard of anything like this? It's making my head explode!

Thanks all

Try collecting the water is coming out of each head in a cup and measure its temperature in each case with a thermometer. You can test your theory about distance in this way.

Is the large head an 'eco' model by any chance? Some of these work by mixing air into the water so the droplets will feel 'softer' and also be a bit cooler.

If changing the cartridge really switched the problem from one head to another that suggests to me that the problem is with incomplete mixing inside the shower. Does the shower have a component such as a mesh filter that would promote turbulence but is missing for some reason?

Last edited:
Try collecting the water is coming out of each head in a cup and measure its temperature in each case with a thermometer. You can test your theory about distance in this way.

Is the large head an 'eco' model by any chance? Some of these work by mixing air into the water so the droplets will feel 'softer' and also be a bit cooler.

If changing the cartridge really switched the problem from one head to another that suggests to me that the problem is with incomplete mixing inside the shower. Does the shower have a component such as a mesh filter that would promote turbulence but is missing for some reason?
Not sure to be honest mate. only mesh filter i remember was as normal on the shower head / hose.

I feel it is probably incomplete mixing inside the valve too.... which will be a massive issue if it needs changing as its all tiled and finished :(

Try putting a flow restrictor in each outlet 7 litres a minute or even less see if that helps ? at the moment your possibly out stripping the hot supply available with no way to control what comes through the outlets?? we should be trying to educate our customers to use less water but we all know this often falls on deaf ears 😊. Kop

Attachments

• 16672335917725804197875176224414.jpg
    16672335917725804197875176224414.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 4

Reply to 2 different Temperatures from same shower in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock