Search the forum,

Discuss 1970s vintage communal central heating..? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here's a question probably for the more mature central heating expert.
I live in a block of flats from the mid 1970s which had communal heating installed at the outset - obviously the boilers have been changed but the pipework, radiators and controls in the flats are basically original. My flat happens to be above the boiler room so is generally pretty warm - never dropping below about 21-22C, so I've always had the heating turned off using the master heating stop valve. As I have some Australians visiting over the winter, and in case it turns very cold, I thought perhaps I should check if the heating works. It doesn't.
The problem looks as if it is with the 'regulator' (no idea if that's the right word) - which is connected to a Danfoss control knob in the hall marked 1 to 5 via long length of unsheathed flexible metal wire - which doesn't look as if carries a current. The hot water is reaching the 'regulator' (ie pipework is very hot up to it) but not going beyond - whichever way the control knob points. Basically I'd like to figure out if there's a way of opening this device all the time so that hot water will flow around the system whenever the stop valve is open.

First pic shows the 'regulator' in situ, the second removed from the device, the third the control knob.

Thanks guys and gals.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

it is a mixing valve and mixes the flow and return to set a desired temp if you have always kept it closed the pin may have stuck just tap the pin gently with a pair of pliers and see if it pops out be careful not to pull the pin out though a it may leak. if still no joy get your landlord to send someone out to look at it

As above push the pin in slightly then pull outward until it stops

Don't pull out all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1970s vintage communal central heating..? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Our flat has communal heating and our thermostat is set so low so the heating should never be coming on. However over the last 10 months or so we've noticed the pipes under the floor, particularly in the bathroom, which are under the concrete floor and tiles, have become incredibly...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, We have a Worcester Bosch GB162 100kw boiler in a residential block for the communal heating serving 12 flats. We currently sporadically manually set the boiler's flow temperature (e.g. 60 degrees when not too cold and 70 degrees when cold) on the boiler itself and use a timer to...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock