Search the forum,

Discuss 1970s Red line copper piping question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lindyhobbit

Hi. I've just joined and was hoping one of you experts out there might be able to help:
We've had a leak from our 1970s top floor flat, and we're wondering if maybe the copper piping is sub-standard and should never have been used for mains water feed. The section of pipe removed has a red line down it, and our neighbour below, who has also had a leak in the same month in exactly the same pipe location, has the initials 'Y T W' stamped on the pipe as well as the red line. I Googled it and found that the red line could mean that the pipe was 'unbendable', but I'm trying to find out more, ultimately to determine if we need to have the whole flat re-plumbed (nightmare as we've just nailed down a hardwood floor). Or could it be other external influences which have caused the leak, such as the fact the pipe was buried in concrete at that point, and there may have been pressure surges due to nearby new-build development work.
Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Hi. I've just joined and was hoping one of you experts out there might be able to help:
We've had a leak from our 1970s top floor flat, and we're wondering if maybe the copper piping is sub-standard and should never have been used for mains water feed. The section of pipe removed has a red line down it, and our neighbour below, who has also had a leak in the same month in exactly the same pipe location, has the initials 'Y T W' stamped on the pipe as well as the red line. I Googled it and found that the red line could mean that the pipe was 'unbendable', but I'm trying to find out more, ultimately to determine if we need to have the whole flat re-plumbed (nightmare as we've just nailed down a hardwood floor). Or could it be other external influences which have caused the leak, such as the fact the pipe was buried in concrete at that point, and there may have been pressure surges due to nearby new-build development work.
Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
I remember fitting this stuff in the 70,s due to the copper shortage at that time, as i remember (long time ago) we were only allowed to use it on low pressure , heating & tank fed Hot & cold ( no combis back then ) also there was some that had a visible seam running down it, the red line stuff was bendable, the seamed was not. as to why its decided to leak now is anyones guess, probably the concrete, and the fact it was junk pipe.

its outlived its guarantee by 16 years what can you buy now would have a cat in hells chance of doing that

Y T W is short for yorkshire thin wall,its thin pipe thats part tin part copper best advice if its giving trouble rip out and replace

Thanks everyone for your useful comments. Guess we will have to lift that floor after all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1970s Red line copper piping question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by the previous owner, they decided to run pipes all along the edge of the garage floor... I do however have one that goes vertically out of the concrete...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I am looking to replace an oldish boiler and hot tank with a combi boiler. The house dates from around 1968 and quite possibly the (copper) piping could be that old. I had someone round to give a quote and they said they would not recommend a combi boiler because the piping downstairs was buried...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock