Search the forum,

Discuss 1940’s-50’s Newhome Gas cooker Servicing, conversion and Installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone,

As per my recent post regarding my vintage 1940’s-50’s Newhome Gas Cooker, I have finished the partial restoration (photo attached).

I contacted someone and they have informed me that it is against regulations to install a cooker that does not have a flame failure device (FFD) fitted, I have also found out that the cooker might need to be converted. I was wondering if there way anyone on here who is still GSR who could possibly come out, check it and let me know what needs doing? I live in the Rhondda Valley in South Wales.

Any help, advice and guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

My fiancé who is mentally disabled and myself are currently only cooking on a small electric countertop hob.

Thank you,

852B1AEB-E5CE-4342-B251-5A11BFF2035B.jpeg

I did wonder whether you would find an RGI prepared to install it!
I am not entirely convinced that it is illegal specifically to fit a cooker without an FFD, if it was originally constructed in that manner, but conversion is an issue. Do you know if it has been in use since the early '70's, when the conversion from Towns to Nat Gas was completed? If so, it has probably been converted.
The problem is that, technically, we should not fit a non CE appliance, although I am not even sure if that is true for preowned appliances. We should not be installing appliances without the manufacturers instructions, which may be a challenge :).

I doubt very much that you will be able to get a conversion kit, and you cannot randomly fit parts, this would be altering the manufacturers specs.

Also, there should, I thnk, be burner caps on the 2 front burners, the absence of which which would prevent safe use and installation

I am not entirely convinced that it is illegal specifically to fit a cooker without an FFD, if it was originally constructed in that manner, but conversion is an issue. Do you know if it has been in use since the early '70's, when the conversion from Towns to Nat Gas was completed? If so, it has probably been converted.
The problem is that, technically, we should not fit a non CE appliance, although I am not even sure if that is true for preowned appliances. We should not be installing appliances without the manufacturers instructions, which may be a challenge :).

I doubt very much that you will be able to get a conversion kit, and you cannot randomly fit parts, this would be altering the manufacturers specs.

Also, there should, I thnk, be burner caps on the 2 front burners, the absence of which which would prevent safe use and installation
Correct fire...it might as you say be jetted for town gas rather than ng. However this can be
overcome...I know a fella at a major gas controls , flow control outfit whom would assist. centralheatking

there is no burner caps on the front two that is how they were made large ring burner no inner ring. it would more than likeley have been in use and converted but you would need to make sure you.

Where the appliance has been previously used and the manufacturer's instructions are not available they may be obtained by contacting the manufacturer. Where these are not available the appliance may be installed in accordance with current standards.

For second hand appliances the manufacturer's instructions shall be available otherwise the appliance cannot be installed.

With reference to the above paragraphs a previously used appliance is one which is owned by the customer, but is being relocated either in the same kitchen or moved to another premises when the customer has moved house. A second hand appliance is one which is purchased either used or refurbished and installed for the first time by this particular customer.

The appliance must be suitable for the gas type supplied. If a conversion is required this shall be performed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions using their approved conversion kit (ad hoc conversion is not permitted).

FFD devices are only mandatory to be fitted to appliances in multi-occupancy dwellings such as flats and appartments and do not legally have to be fitted to appliances installed in a single occupancy property.

Reply to 1940’s-50’s Newhome Gas cooker Servicing, conversion and Installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock