Search the forum,

Discuss 1930s Build - Water Around Foul Drainage Pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Looking for some advice, I was looking to extend my drainage for a new conservatory however after breaking through a concrete floor and digging down I’ve noticed a foul smell. Having dug further there’s a lot of water around the foul drainage soil pipe (see photo). It doesn’t drain away or get any higher. There’s no obvious gulley though and having felt around the pipe there is just soil and stones down there and the water does smell foul. All the earth nearby is sodden and having lifted some slabs, they’re wet underneath. Is this normal for a build of this age (1932)? Trying to understand if this is just the system design of the age or whether there is a big issue with my drainage. I’ve also dug a pilot hole , which slowly fills with water, down to the foundations but have not been able to find a drainage pipes but don’t want to dig any further. There is a ceramic gulley for the bath/basin which I plan to dig out tomorrow to find some connecting pipes and gauge the depth of the system and potential to extend. However, I would welcome any advice on this issue and whether I need to be doing further work.

Thanks

Pete

Attachments

• 72FB251F-0D16-4312-96AB-A55835F2ACB9.jpeg
    72FB251F-0D16-4312-96AB-A55835F2ACB9.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 60C128BF-BF86-4A9E-B7D3-BF64B2D51ADF.jpeg
    60C128BF-BF86-4A9E-B7D3-BF64B2D51ADF.jpeg
    721.3 KB · Views: 22
Could be all sorts of things but essentially, foul smelling water coming up from the ground in quantity is not normal.
Perhaps the kitchen waste has been tied in to a soakaway, today we put a lot more fat into the waste and it can clog up a soakaway and spoil it.
I am surprised by standing foul water at that level without a blockage somewhere. Have you lifted any manhole covers downstream?

Reply to 1930s Build - Water Around Foul Drainage Pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
About to submit some drainage plans to building regs so I was hoping that the wonderful people on here would give some views on what they would likely object to as it's easier to make changes before submitting than after. Assuming the gradients are within spec does anything look out of place...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have had a significant build up of limescale in the pipes taking old water from the shower / bathroom sink and sewage from the toilet. This has been clearer by plumbers using a Picote and directly accessing the pipes externally. The drainage engineer said that now that the limescale has...
Replies
Views
G
Hy all, So i noticed the corner in the living room was getting damp. investigation showed that the corner skirting board that goes around the boxing in of the SOIL pipe was rotten with mould and the carpet was saturated. Obviously been going on for a long time. I dried the area out. I then...
Replies
Views
We live in a terraced row (SW London) and our neighbours are currently in the process of finalising their extension. There is a potential drainage issue (their rainwater drainage) for which they have advised us of a course of action to resolve it. Before agreeing, we would like a bit of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock