Search the forum,

Discuss 16 showers job in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

little bit of help needed lads
iv got a job on to install 16 thermostatic bar showers in a kind of hotel spread across one floor, the building is basically one level, no upstairs,
as I say its all over one floor, all pipework is to run above the rooms and drop down in stud work. each room has a bathroom, 16 in total with thermostatic bar showers, and obviously a basin and toilet.
I am arranging 2 x 32mm or one 63mm mdpe connections coming into property and a manifold.
There is no gas in property.
I am planning on fitting two large unvented hot water cylinders. Im not sure what size to go with, if I allow 8 bathrooms per cylinder, im unsure how to size cylinders correctly.
Iv read the average shower lasts 6 minutes so if the hot water cylinder was to provide 15 litres per minute and we say that the hot/cold ratio is 60/40 we are looking at 9 litres x 6 (minutes) = 54 litres per shower.
so my question is, how many would I allow for diversity? ideally each cylinder would be 54litres x 8 rooms so would be 432 litres but obviously this isnt practical or feasible. Im inclined to put 2 x 200 litre cylinders in with bronze circulators and make sure the cylinders have some kind of rapid reheat times with good immersion elements but any advice will be greatly appreciated from people in the know.

cheers

What’s it being used for ? Hotel ?

As it’s random usage I would go 2x 400l in parallel per 8 with src circuit the problem is it’s direct so around an hour reheat time or commercial 3 phase cylinder but then you still be around 30-45 min on full depletion

Max immersion for a stnd cylinder 6kw

I'd go timed push shower controls done many a sports complex last one has 3 - 200 litre unvented cylinders and was heated by a commercial ideal gas boiler , heat recovery time using electric will be much slower .

As it’s random usage I would go 2x 400l in parallel per 8 with src circuit the problem is it’s direct so around an hour reheat time or commercial 3 phase cylinder but then you still be around 30-45 min on full depletion

Max immersion for a stnd cylinder 6kw
ahh right im with you mate so have 2 x 400l linked per 8 rooms. so just to clarify that would be 4 x 400 litre cylinders linked in pairs?

ahh right im with you mate so have 2 x 400l linked per 8 rooms. so just to clarify that would be 4 x 400 litre cylinders linked in pairs?

Yep unless you can get sub 30 min reheat time

its the reheat time anywhere from 4-6 hours from cold

with gas you can put 30-60kw in depending on if use the solar coil as well with direct thats 6kw

IMO, one-off jobs of this size need a consulting engineer to do the requirements and design. You really don't want to install 1600 litres of HW store and a 3x200A power supply only to find your guesstimate of 6 minutes per shower should have been 12 minutes and the rooms are all doubles not singles and breakfast is served from 0730 to 0830 so everybody wants their shower between 0715 and 0745.

roughly 1280 L hot required for a single 10 mins shower added 25% for unaccounted things like basins etc / overhead

How will you maintain floe/pressure at peak times?
This was my first thought.

Let’s say peak, 8 showers running, 12lpm a shower, that’s gonna require nearly 100lpm!

Have you checked the mains water supply? Unvented could already be a dead option without a mains upgrade or storage/booster set.

You’re gonna struggle to get the required reheat time using domestic immersions. Do you know your available electricity capacity?

You’d be better off, installing indirect and electric boilers. You could also then wire the immersions with a temp sensor to turn on at a preset hot water temp to assist with high demand periods.

Edit: I also want to add (this isn’t an insult, we all need to gain experience/confidence), are you ready/comfortable with taking on this responsibility? If you get it wrong, it could cost a lot to fix. Have you thought about paying someone to run/design the job, with you taking a backseat and learning?

Last edited:

Reply to 16 showers job in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock