Search the forum,

Discuss 15mm to 1/2" BSP Male Flexible Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such thing as a flexible braided hose that will go from 15mm pipe (plastic in this case) to 1/2" male thread? If so, where would I get some as I've not seen them anywhere.

I have some bath wall valves that have female 1/2" BSP threads for the input and output flow. I was hoping to limit the connectors as they will be mounted in the walls behind tiles.

Thanks,

Daz

Is there such thing as a flexible braided hose that will go from 15mm pipe (plastic in this case) to 1/2" male thread? If so, where would I get some as I've not seen them anywhere.

I have some bath wall valves that have female 1/2" BSP threads for the input and output flow. I was hoping to limit the connectors as they will be mounted in the walls behind tiles.

Thanks,

Daz
when ever possible i would use soldered m/i's on showersand taps in walls

when ever possible i would use soldered m/i's on showersand taps in walls

What's an m/i?

If I use a soldered joint then I am adding another connection. I was trying to reduce the amount of connections down to a minimum.

I have to have something to screw in to the female 1/2" thread. Instead of using a 1/2" male to compression / pushfit / soldered I was thinking a flexible connection that just screwed into the female thread would be better. (It's in a partition wall incidentally).

you can get them from toolstation but not skrufix i believe.
in fact i have a couple in the van.

Manufactures instructions:rolleyes: He was refering to a male iron

my mistake just had a look and they must have come from merchant.
if you get 2x 15mm comp ends and take of nut, isn't that the same?.

my mistake just had a look and they must have come from merchant.
if you get 2x 15mm comp ends and take of nut, isn't that the same?.

I don't think you can do that. I am sure 1/2" BSP male threads are usually bevelled so that they create a water tight joint to the female parallel thread.

Am I correct?

Last edited:
I don't think you can do that. I am sure 1/2" BSP male threads are usually bevelled so that they create a water tight joint to the female parallel thread.

Am I correct?

i shouldnt think so,
pack it with a douzen wraps of ptfe, same thing!.

I am sure 1/2" BSP male threads are usually bevelled so that they create a water tight joint to the female parallel thread.

I think you are getting confused with BSPT (The T stands for Taper)

A 15mm compression fitting with BSP threads and nuts removed will go into the tap end of a flexi tap conenctor to make a male end.

i shouldnt think so,
pack it with a douzen wraps of ptfe, same thing!.

I took my wall valve and asked the question last night at a plumbing course I'm on and he said removing a nut off a 15mm compression joint or pipe and screwing it into the valve would definitely produce a leaky connection, (even the PTFE tape wouldn't help). He said it's the same type of thread as the radiator valves (top valves, bleed valve)

The plumber at B&Q told me the same as well, (not that B&Q advice makes it any more reliable lol!).

It does make sense though as if there was no difference then you may as well just buy a 15mm compression coupler and remove the nut rather than buy a 15mm compression to male 1/2 BSP.

It is very confusing all these different types and I didn't realise that there was BSPP and BSPT!

I think I may look at the pushfit to 1/2 BSP male connectors and connect up this way. Mind you I am still a bit confused as to whether it needs to be a BSPP or BSPT type. Hmm can you tell be looking at the thread?

Thanks all,

Daz

Seems like for every answer I get I have two more questions :)

Last edited:
Hmm!

Its a bit hard to tell a taper from a parallel thread.

But a taper is designed to go into the likes of mild steel sockets, tightening onto the walls of the socket the more you screw it in.

But if you use a taper on soft metals such as brass the chances are, as you tighten it it will split the softer metal socket.

I have found, your usually okay fitting a parallel thread in a taper socket though, providing the socket is deep enough and engages enough of the parallel thread at the bottom of the socket.

Another problem you may find with taper threads, is that on parallel thread sockets they only go in a few turns and leave you wondering whether those few threads are enough.

Anyway I think most sockets on a shower have parallel threads, but I might be wrong.

But using the right thread in the right socket is the answer.

Doesn't the manufacturers info tell you? Unfortunately BSPT it seems can mean either British Standard Pipe Thread or British Standard Pipe Taper.

If its taper it usually tells you somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 15mm to 1/2" BSP Male Flexible Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock