Search the forum,

Discuss 15mm Olives On 1/2" Pipe Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to ask another question from the experts on here. A year ago, I added an iso. valve to the pipe under a tap. The pipe is old 1/2" and the olives were the copper ones that came with the new valve.

At the time, I remember that I had to tighten the compression nuts quite a bit as there was a slight weep on both.Yesterday, I had to remove one of the pipes that connects to one end of the iso. valve. I was surprised that the olive wasn't even slightly tight on the pipe, and when I slid the compression nut off the end of the pipe, the olive slid off too and I had to get it out from the inside of the nut.

So, should I be using 15mm olives on imperial pipe? Why didn't the olive compress onto the pipe?
I'm surprised the olives sealed at all. Maybe it was only my habit of putting a smear of Boss White on all olives that made them seal.

Copper olives are better, usually get away with 15mm olives on 1/2'' tho but wont on 3/4'' using 22mm olives.

You probably didn't tighten the valve enough. The paste should have helped greatly to tighten it as less friction & no squeal usually. Paste (Jet Lube I prefer) is IMO always needed & a better joint.
Copper olives commonly will not bite into the pipe & the fact that it was old 1/2" pipe means the old pipe is thicker & stronger than modern stuff & the olive will easily pull off later.
Remember that the olive will be very tight to the pipe WHILE it tightened inside the valve/fitting.
Brass olives IMO are better than copper in a lot of ways, providing they are good quality & not too hard. Brass olives will not weep on heating pipes but copper tend to slightly eventually as they are softer.

I wouldn't ever use ptfe/paste to make a permanent fix, re 3/4 olives, it wont last and is asking for trouble long term - though of course someone will come along and quote a joint never failing in 20 years!!! use a proper 3/4 to 22m fitting OR get a 3/4 olive (its been a while, so I don't know if you can buy them - BUT next time you rip some old pipe out, it might be worth salvaging any 3/4 inch olives)

15mm olives should be fine on 1/2 inch pipe

You probably didn't tighten the valve enough. The paste should have helped greatly to tighten it as less friction & no squeal usually. Paste (Jet Lube I prefer) is IMO always needed & a better joint.
Copper olives commonly will not bite into the pipe & the fact that it was old 1/2" pipe means the old pipe is thicker & stronger than modern stuff & the olive will easily pull off later.
Remember that the olive will be very tight to the pipe WHILE it tightened inside the valve/fitting.
Brass olives IMO are better than copper in a lot of ways, providing they are good quality & not too hard. Brass olives will not weep on heating pipes but copper tend to slightly eventually as they are softer.
Copper olives should never be used on heating pipes. Yes it is softer then brass but the reason is because it has more thermal expansion than brass which can cause weeping on hot pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 15mm Olives On 1/2" Pipe Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock