Search the forum,

Discuss 15mm olive thickness in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, First post here, I have usually been able to answer my questions through searching this forum but now I'm stuck! I have replaced the tiles in my shower with shower board and now reinstalling the Triton Dart 2 shower mixer. I had to cut the old olives to get the nuts off before fitting the shower board. The supply pipe is 12 years old and undamaged. I cannot get a seal that does not weep using 15mm brass or copper olives. In fact despite tightening firmly the olives do not bite in to the pipe. Then I noticed that the original olive supplied with the shower has a thickness of 1.2mm whereas olives are usually 0.8mm. I have tried searching for larger/thicker olives at a few local merchants and also online with no success. I see that the nut and olive is available from Triton but at a cost of about £30 for a pair! Item number 83312790. I'm sure somebody has come across this before. Is there any alternative?
Many thanks

You can get olives that have a continuous curve outer profile rather than the more common chamfer- flat bit- chamfer arrangement. These curved olives take up more room - might help you.
Otherwise you could of course just wrap a few turns of ptfe over the top of the olive - this will get you out of trouble.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried PTFE which helped a bit but didn't totally seal it. would paste be better than tape? Also any recommendations for a brand of olives which may be better? Pegler olives seem to be a fuller shape?

Reply to 15mm olive thickness in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock