Search the forum,

Discuss 10mm plastic pipe freezing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foston

I wish to replace an existing radiator with a towel rail. The radiator is in a new house and is part of a sealed pressurised system. The current radiator is connected to a 10mm plastic pipe. I would be keen to effect the change without the need to drain the system. Questions:

1. Is it possible to freeze water in a 10mm plastic pipe.

2. If yes can it be done with a DIY freezing kit or would it be better to hire an electric freezing kit?

Advice would be appreciated.

if its part of a sealed system, it would probably be easier and cheaper draining down the system and refilling. Not too sure about freezing plastic but I wouldnt risk it.

draining down should be very straight forward and avoid any dangers you may have trying to freeze and cut pipework, you also get to flush out your system and top up with a good inhibitor which is a good idea and will help prelong the life of your system.

I agree with the other lads here, drain down and refill with inhibitor, with a pressurised system it wont take that much longer than freezing the pipe.

depending on the amount of alteration required and materials you are to use, it is possible to drop the system pressure. water is still in the pipes but is held in due to the sealed system. i get the job done then connect last. you really have to have all parts and tools at hand and bit of confidence. much safer the way the other guys suggested.

If there's enough slack. Bend it. Or clamp the pipe.

Gas board do it all the time on low pressure

Tend to find freezing plastic takes a lot longer than copper. I would de-pressurise or compress pipe before working on it, wouldn't bother with a drain down for that.

My thanks to all who have offered advice. It is much appreciated.

I have a similar job in copper quite soon. I thought the best way was drop the pressure and then freeze.
That's the beauty of this forum, you can check what seems to be a good idea for possible faults before you find out in the real world that in fact, it was a crazy idea!
Thanks.... T.

I came back from work today orange. My labour monkey came back from work today orange. I have to paint mrs fothergills outhouse white ceiling and magnolia walls on monday all because a pipe didnt freeze.

Tiled floor and paint free cos my dads a decorator. So no real harm done....

Could have been worse.

Only labour monkeys third day on job. Didnt panic, didnt run from the sh t brown water spray. Whacked a stop end on one side while I stuck an iso on the other.

Kudos to the new labour monkey.:)

And the monkey is a she.

Would try and freeze behind an elbow as low friction and dirty pipes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 10mm plastic pipe freezing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new. The leak is at the bottom compression fitting on the lockshield rad valve. The rad is a chromed steel towel rail, and the valve is brass/copper, the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. The current towel rail is 1000mm x 600mm and ideally I'd like the pipes coming straight from the ground into the rail. The distance between pipe centres is 695mm. I can get a 750mm wide rail but the centres with that are 705mm and that additional 10mm could cause too much strain on...
Replies
Views
Our house was built in 2007 and we are the second family to live here - moving in in 2017. The central heating has been working fine - although the gas boiler is perhaps nearing the end of its life. But the boiler is not our current issue. Last winter two of the radiators did not heat up and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
I am told I need to replace my boiler. I am considering a system boiler so I can lose the tank in the loft and feed it direct from the mains water. My rads are fed by 10mm plastic pipe. Is there much of a pressure increase with a system boiler and will the plastic pipe joints (e.g. John Guest...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock