Search the forum,

Discuss 1.1mb drop? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Knappers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I do this quite a bit but just wanted to check with you guys and see where we recon I stand if it goes wrong.

I quoted for boiler replacement without upgrade of gas supply to 22mm and quoted separately for upgrading pipe 'if required'.

When commissioning I dumped the digital gauge in favour of the u-gauge and found it was perfectly good on the existing 15mm 🤔

My query is: if it failed (for arguments sake let's say 1.25mb drop) but the customer then refuses to pay to upgrade the pipe then where do I stand?
Surely I can't rightly commission and register the install should I AR it as not commissioned?
What stops them from then getting someone else to turn it back on and then register the install?
I guess I'd just need to make sure I kept the warning notice safe incase it came back at me?

I’d be doing my pipe sizing calc and showing the customer that it needs doing not suck it and see

OK I've got 2.7m3/h
22mm 2.5m, 4xelb, 1xtee
15mm 1m, 1xelb
I make the drop < 1mb (you may not but I do)
I'm not going to include repiping on quote but I am going to advise customer that it may be necessary and give a separate price 'if required'.
I do want the job and I am going to compete with other engineers who aren't repiping (and im going to deburr the Rubbish out of it!).

It was fine but as pipe disappeared between meter box and boiler it may not have been and hence my question.

There's always a better way of doing things but whats the right thing to do and what would you do in the scenario on my first post?

Tell them it likely needs upgrading. More often than not it does these days. Show your knowledge to the customer and be honest and they’ll likely appreciate your attention to detail

As I say tell them it likely needs upgrading. Tell them it futureproofs too should they get a more powerful hob or something. I wouldn’t wait and see. I’d say let’s do it and if it turns out it doesn’t need doing (even though I would insist on doing it if there’s any doubt) then knock it off the bin. If you’re that close to it needing doing then I’d tell em to do it

Reply to 1.1mb drop? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock