Discuss Add underfloor to S-plan - S-plan+? closely spaced tees? new boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this.

- 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard

- Currently piped as S-plan.

- Hive controls.

- Would like to fit 6-zone underfloor kit on ground floor. Kit has stainless manifold/Grundfos pump/blending valve etc.

- Controls/wiring centre (to replace hive and control everything) to be Reliance (wiring centres/wired thermostats etc.)

- Ground floor ceiling is down. 28mm primarys are on show, some of the joints look like they've been bleeding for a while, and have been chopped and linked in plastic temporarily to put in new steels within the first floor, they will need a bit of work to take them through the steels (route them to the centre of the steel where the penetrations are). Also a couple of "bypass" rads tee'd in which aren't really bypass as they have TRVs (no automatic bypass). Basically the primaries need a bit of work whatever happens for reasons not to do with best system design.

Would you:

Minimum work -

• Re-route the 28mm primaries through the steels,
  • Add automatic bypass
  • Extend primaries in 22mm to underfloor manifold/pump pack behind zone valve

Basically add UFH as another zone - S-plan+

Disadvantage - intreraction between the pumps? Is this a real issue?

Medium work -

• Redo the 28mm pipework as a primary circuit with circulator pump - pump probably located in back of top kitchen cupboard.
  • Have the old S-plan draw off a set of closely spaced tees
  • Have the UFH draw off a second set of closely spaced tees downstream of old S-plan. No need for UFH zone valve.

Disadvantage - Expansion should be before the primary circulator pump rather than secondary circulator and not much room in kitchen cabinet for same. More work than above. 3 pumps rather than 2 (additional circulator on primary circuit).

Even more work

- As above but instead of adding a pump in series to the existing boiler, replace with a system boiler in a slightly better location (already piped for gas, just need to drill for flue), and upgrade to more sophisticated controls (weather comp).

Disadvantage - cost.

---

I don't have a wall for a low-loss header or anything like that, but assume I don't need it as it's a pretty simple system.

Am I worrying about nothing with the rad/cyl pump interacting with the ufh pump?

Thanks for your time.

Reply to Add underfloor to S-plan - S-plan+? closely spaced tees? new boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock